Touch Down...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 25th 2008
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

First few pics.. more to come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A new friendA new friend
A new friend

This is a few doors down from our hotel... after a couple of absolutely fantastic bottles of local red wine for a few pounds each.
Mae on the balconyMae on the balcony
Mae on the balcony

Our hotel is lovely.. basic but beautiful, right in the heart of the old San Telmo district. We are at the top of the old house with our own private balcony and beautiful old french windows and shutters. Out hotelier.. JJ, seems thrilled to have us there.
Grafitti in PalermoGrafitti in Palermo
Grafitti in Palermo

All over BA there is lots of street art / grafitti... most of it is fantastic and it is difficult not to stop and photograph every piece.
Local dancers in Plaza Dorrego Local dancers in Plaza Dorrego
Local dancers in Plaza Dorrego

Our first day here, we went to the Plaza Dorrego - the main square in San Telmo (the district we are staying in). These two young dancers just dance in the centre while people sit at cafes and watch them.
Beautiful old buildingsBeautiful old buildings
Beautiful old buildings

There are lots of beautiful old buildings... the locals apparantly think they are dirty and fun down .. but to us they are stunning.
Amphi theatre in Parque LezamaAmphi theatre in Parque Lezama
Amphi theatre in Parque Lezama

Parque Lezama is full of locals, old and young. Old men sit under the trees and play chess, lovers cuddle up on the grass, and kids run around. This amphi theatre setting was covered in political grafitti.
Wall art in San TelmoWall art in San Telmo
Wall art in San Telmo

More great wall art....
Jack in DesnivelJack in Desnivel
Jack in Desnivel

This is our favourite restaurant so far... a local to us... lively and buzzing, it is called Desnivel! At the entrance is a huge grill covered in huge lumps of cow! We ordered from the traditional parilla (grill) menu. And Mae even tried some steak .. and loved it! We ordered wine from the local vineyard for 3 pounds a bottle... it was incredible!
Jack browsing for bayonettesJack browsing for bayonettes
Jack browsing for bayonettes

San Telmo is full of old antique / vintage / bric-a-brac shops. For those of you from Hastings, the whole area is like courthouse street but everything is amazing and hard not to buy lots! We have contemplated getting a container and filling it full of stuff to send home!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb