High seas indeed!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 9th 2011
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Now we know why they call them the high seas.  We've spent 16 hours enduring some of the highest seas I've ever been in today.  The captain told us we were in 24 ft high waves and you think a huge ship like this would be hard to move but by golly the waves managed it today,  Our breakfast was punctuated by numerous crashing noises and not made by the waves crashing against the ship but by the furniture and crockery crashing around the room!  With busted toes, a rapidly rolling deck was not the easiest surface to get around on so we headed back for our room.  We both have pretty good resistance to sea sickness but it was too much for me today.  Fortunately, being an American ship, they sell really strong anti sea sickness pills and within an hour of popping one of them, we were both fast asleep.  Woke up at about 2.30 and managed to stagger our way back to a restaurant for lunch.  Then back to bed and slept my way round to 6.30pm which was perfect time for dinner.  Not since my teenage years have I managed to sleep quite that much on a Sunday.  Fortunately now the storm has subsided and so we took in a show after dinner and then had a few rounds of Mah Jongg before retiring to our cabin and bit of blogging!  

The storm forced the ship to slow down quite a bit today so we know we will be late into Cartagena in south east Spain tomorrow.  The delay should only be a couple of hours and they've announced that we'll still get all the right amount of time ashore as we'll just leave later in the day.  We're not doing any formal tours tomorrow but have our own mission planned and that is to search out a local delicacy called an asiatico.  This is a special dessert coffee with layers of condensed milk, espresso, brandy, cream and cinnamon.

Not much else to report from today but if you only wake up for meals, there isn't much to say!  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.4s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb