A Trip in Time


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 7th 2011
Published: October 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Stepping back in time

Today was all about Montenegro and a first time visit for both of us.  And what a well kept secret this country is.  It's quite small; only 200 kilometres wide and 300 kilometres long but it is absolutely stunning.  Most visitors come by air but to arrive by sea is a real treat - you cruise from the Adriatic along a fantastic fjord - as good as almost anything Norway has to offer but bathed in glorious, hot sunshine.  We docked at the medieval town of Kotor which still has its original walled city full of wonderful little alleyways and squares where the population meet in bars and cafes for dinner and drinks.  With zero traffic, it's easy to wander wherever you want with absolute ease.  The backdrop to the city is a pretty high range of mountains so wherever you look you have a living history from medieval times at your feet and mountains above your head.  It is just a footstep back in time and utterly wonderful.

And just in case Kotor wasn't enough, we went through a mountain - clearly the Montenegrans are very good tunnel builders - and on to another walled medieval city called Budva.  Although this has a small modern town around it, the original walled city has survived countless earthquakes to present you with yet another living piece of history.  We found a gorgeous restaurant whose tables filled a tiny square under a beautifully trailed vine and tucked in to local hors d'oeuves.  This gave us the chance to eat several of the local specialities including a regional parma-type ham, goats cheese and the most wonderful olives.  All helped along by some marvellous home-made bread and a pint of brilliantly chilled beer.

The threatened chance of rain was burnt off by lovely sunshine so we really have enjoyed a fabulous day.  But we did a heck of a lot of walking and right next to an ever heckier (!!) amount of walking round Venice yesterday, we have 4 feet between us that are undoubtedly looking forward to 2 leisurely days at sea now.  Spain is next and that's quite a way away from Montenegro so we shall dedicate ourselves to dossing from now on!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.521s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb