....and they're off!!!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
June 20th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello land lovers!! Today is day 2 of my first cruise to Alaska, and there is already so much to talk about. Not much time to talk about it, but I'll give you a quick rundown.

We set sail from Seattle yesterday at about 16:00 (that's 4pm to you!) along side the Golden Princess. I went to a training/welcome meeting, then went to my room (bigger than my room on my last contract, and no bunk-beds!!) unpacked my gear, then headed to the Lido deck for a grilled ham and cheese and some chips.

I was supposed to be assigned a buddy to show me around the ship and to answer all my questions, but for some reason that hasn't happened, so the past 24 hours has been interesting to say the least. And I have lots of questions....that's the bad news. The good news is that when I do finally find someone that I'm looking for or get a hold of them on the phone, they are super nice and help me without hesitation.

The bar I'm working at is called MIX, which is a wide open area right along side the casino and bar area. Good news about work is that I'm playing on an actual Yamaha piano and not on a keyboard! It feels/sounds amazing!! The bad news is that I can't hear myself when I sing, and when I asked the sound tech to turn it up, he said that it was as high as it can go. I'm afraid of losing my voice in the first week, which would be really unfortunate, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle that, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Turns out I forgot my belts and brown dress shoes, cuz I'm dumb, but no one has complained about me wearing my big brown work boots and busting a serious sag, so maybe this will become a new part of the dress code allowed on Holland America....doubt it.

The ocean is as beautiful as I'd left it. No whales yet, but I'm told there will be lots, as well as otters, seals, and tons of birds (mom, you're going to be so jealous) There is an excusion that I'm really excited about that consists of me flying on a helicopter to the top of a glacier, then taking a dog-sled around....you know, just cruising around, not hurting anybody (dick purtain reference). I hope I get the chance to do it!!

K, that's all I got for now. Oh, my first night's work was good. Met some fun people who I'm sure I'll be seeing again. I'm hoping to have them sing the whole show for me so I can save my voice....I wonder what my boss will think about that.

Love you all lots. A special "love you" to Mya, Katie, and Ethan! Love you neices and nephews!!!

Talk soon. Next stop: Juneau!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb