Day 2 Traveling At Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
September 20th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up to the ship actually rolling and were able to feel the movement of the ship through the sea. The night before, we had still been inside sheltered waters and it was more like being on a lake. Also there is a melodious swishing background noise as the ship methodically plows across the ocean, pushing aside what they called small waves with occasional whitecaps on the surface. Walking past the pool there were distinct waves in the pool water as the ship rocked back and forth sloshing the pool water like you could slosh water in a shallow pan.

The ship is noticeably smaller than the one we took to Alaska, but it also has only about 1/3 as many passengers. The service has been excellent so far and we are having a great time! The cabin itself is larger than we had 5 years ago and is quite comfortable. It is a little breezy on the balcony but as the temperature starts to get warmer, that will probably not be a problem. Today it is only supposed to get to mid 60s, so it is not quite “shorts weather” yet. They expect that the further south we go, the temperature will get warmer and the seas get smoother.

Breakfast is going to be a challenge each morning (making up our minds what to choose). There are so many options it is going to take a week before we can try all the alternatives. David had the lumberjack special with steak and eggs while Janet had a mushroom omelet with bacon today.

We checked in at the Internet Café. They have wireless internet service in most of the public areas or you can go to the café to use their PCs. Access from our cabin really is too weak to use. Our plan is to compose the BLOG in our cabin and then go somewhere that we can send it. It will also give us an opportunity to check the mail and see how everyone is doing. Looks like Mother had a good day Friday but we are sorry she is going to have to wait a little longer for her shot to help her knee. At least they are still working on her blood counts.

There is a daily newsletter listing all the events on the ship for the day. Turns out we are going to have to watch the clock closely or we will probably miss some of the events. We attended a travel log which talked about the things to see on the “big island”. They will talk about the other islands each of the next few days. We already have excursions booked for each day, but clearly there are more things to see than can be accomplished in one tour. Such was the case in Alaska too.

We had just a “light lunch” of all you can eat from the buffet in the panorama dinning room (nothing but horizon in any direction). It is easy to see why people might have thought the earth was flat.

The arts and crafts activity today was making boxes and picture frames out of paper. So Janet has learned another whole set of activities to go along with scrapbooking and card making. The box came out okay but the picture frame needs work.

And then we found the “high tea” which Janet has been looking forward to since the Alaska cruise. Trouble is that they only seem to serve tea but David enjoyed all the pastries and sandwiches. We sat with two other couples, one from Australia and another from Arizona. It turns out they are both into yachting and compared the last several America’s Cup races. We, of course, contributed nothing to the conversation but it was interesting to listen.

In the early evening there was the Captain’s Cocktail Party. The captain and his crew were introduced. Probably the best thing about the party was that they gave us a Rum Punch and now we have an excuse for not walking a straight line on the ship. Then the first Formal Dinner was Saturday night. The missing couple from the first night showed up. It turns out they are the son and daughter-in-law of the Canadian couple. However, the Canadian couple from the first night did not make it, so we have yet to have all 8 at the table. Maybe tonight! All the food is very good but there is just so much to choose between that it is very tempting to eat too much. But after several large meals and plenty of gentle rocking, we just kind of wore out again and went off to bed early.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb