Kotor Montenegro


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Mediterranean » Adriatic Sea
November 10th 2012
Published: November 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Evening everyone, we have had another wonderful day here on the Adriatic Sea, we awoke this morning to find that we had land in view out of the window and the sun shining it was a glorious day already.

As we sailed in we were priviledged to experience the wonderful fjords that welcomed us as we travelled through them into Kotor that is a true gem within the Adriatic Sea. The Captain explained to us re these Fjords and very nicely provided us with a view of this beautiful church that is on an island and is in fact the only thing on that island, it was very quaint and beautiful and I said to Col imagine going to church on a Sunday by boat.

We travelled out of that fjord onto another waterway, the water itself is clear and sparkling and the mountains that surrounded the water reflected in the water a wonderful sight at 8am as we once again ate our breakfast on our balcony.. all very posh really..

We have tried to take photos to show the beauty of this area but we aren't sure whether they will really do this beautiful area justice.

Because the cruise ship is a smaller one we were able to dock right out the front of the beautiful city of Kotor that sits within the imposing city walls that zigzag 2.5miles up steep mountains and tonight they have floodlit that wall and it is absolutely charming. Once again it is a UNESCO site and as you take a stroll down its narrow streets you find many little ancient chapels , restaurants, monuments, medieval architecture and the Cathedral of Saint Tryphon which when we went in to this cathedral they are restoring it and it had scaffolding in it.

Col and I had booked a tour to the Crnojevic River Cruise and Skader lake for today to give us an idea of the land of Montenegro. It was a 2hr bus drive but that was great as it gave us an idea of life away from the sea and over the mountains. Once again the tour guide provided us with fabulous information about Kotor and Montenegro in general and as we travelled through the mountains on the scenic routes we were treated to seeing so many amazing views out to sea and towards many of the islands and coastal areas, hotels and apartment buildings and a whole island that is a hotel that the "stars and royals" stay at.

Just realised that the boat is moving we are no longer docked, we are on our way to Brindisi, it is quite incredible you can't even feel when we pull away from the dock it is so smooth, in fact we would have left 25 minutes ago..

Anyway back to the day, Montenegro is very rocky and mountainous and of course we had to climb those mountains lucky it was in a bus not by foot. They have put in tunnels and we went through several today as we climbed up and down these amazing mountains. We arrived at the lake after a very windy, narrow drive down and through the mountains, where if we came across cars there was a wait and see game played who was going to stare who out and who ever lost had to reverse back finally the car driver realised that he was much smaller than us and so he obliged eventually however one time we had to reverse back to allow a car through.. I must admit it was a sheer drop down and at times it was pretty close as we turned around the curves hardly big enough for cars let alone a bus.

Once on the boat we took off, Col and I sat on the top of the boat with several others and I am glad that we did the views were amazing, the silence of the area was amazing, the bird life was incredible, the mountains were incredible, the food, grappa and red wine was yummo and the company was a lot of fun. The views out to the mountains were breathtaking and it was a wonderful day to spend on a river, the sun shone and the weather was kind to us. I would recommend this cruise to anyone coming to Montenegro as it really provided time to "be", and there is nothing like being in a space of beauty and peace, it really balanced my energy and frame of mind.

They served cheese made locally, and donuts with local honey with the red wine, the cheese was yummy. We spent about 2 hrs on the river and throughout that time we had many different sights one of the funniest were two fishermen that were asleep in their boat sitting across the boat, they didn't even stir when we motored past them. Many of the fishermen had many rods out I think the record today that we counted was 14 rods out of the boat. As you can imagine it was a photographers delight today and in fact we chatted about how even the worse photographer would gain bonus' today as it was so easy to take wonderful photos we hope that they show the pleasure today was once we print our photos off.

We finally arrived at one of the local little villages, our bus driver was there waiting for us and we shared lunch together, it was about 3pm and the sun had begun to go down in the sky. We had fish soup and salad, and main course was a whole trout grilled with potatoes and a rice salad. I was glad that the head had been cut off the fish I don't think I could have eaten it if it was looking at me as I ate it...

The trip back was uneventful but we did see the most amazing sunset and those of you who know me know that I can never have too many photos of sunsets.

We arrived back in the dark it seemed like about 9pm but it was only 5.30pm so Col and I walked to the old city and walked around for about an hr and a half looking at the sights and shops. It was starting to get cold so we wandered back to the ship, we have eaten dinner out on the deck looking at the pretty lights of Montenegro and after this we will go to the cabaret show.

Well Saturday is amost over and I cant believe within a week we will be arriving home, we have had an amazing time, we still keep pinching ourselves.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 4; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb