Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Mediterranean » Adriatic Sea
November 7th 2012
Published: November 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well what a few days it has been, we are not able to connect through our facebook or email system so this is the only contact we have to home so if there are any messages please connect them through here.

Well we left venice on........ what day is it today??? I think it was Monday night it was great to stand at the front of the ship and watch the ship sail out of the port, I must admit I was sad to be leaving Venice I so enjoyed being there it was very relaxed.

Well Col and I have a stateroom with a balcony and a gorgeous queen bed, yummy breakfast is brought to us each morning and we have such a choice, how will I ever settle back into home again one wonders hey..

The sea is so smooth that you arent even aware that you are sailing and as we are sailing at night time it is weird leaving a port at night time and then arriving the next morning at the next port. Tuesday we spent the day at the port of Trieste and the ship arrived right at the front of the town square.

Col and I had booked a tour and so we were due off the boat at 8.30am we travelled to Miramar castle just out side of the township which was a lovely castle from every view from the caste you had the seaview. From the front area if you looked up the area above the light fitting was a pond and apparently in the time of the castle being built they had fish in it... incredible when you think of when it was constructed something like the 18th century.

The decoration was incredible it was constructed on the basis of a ship the walls and the ceiling were all in wood... the decorations in each of the rooms were incredible particularly the smoking room with the chinese bowls and pictures. Maximillian who designed the castle, quite a small one really as it only comprised of 80 rooms, also loved gardening and brought to the site loads of trees from around the world and planted them in this amazing garden area that is now public gardens, they were absolutely beautiful.

The weather was great and we ended up in the city of Trieste wandering around, I love the fact that you are walking down the street and you suddenly come across a roman amphitheatre ruins from when the romans had control of the area. Trieste had a complicated beginning with being over run by many emporers and tyrrants and infact only became part of italy in the 1950's again. It was an area that the Nazi's used as it is a vital port and major rail link up through Europe they took hold of it during the war and infact there is a museum still there where they took over a canning factory to create ovens to kill the jews. The township use to have a jewish ghetto and one of the churches hid them under the church in the catacombs to try and save them. We enjoyed a couple of hours wandering around the city once the tour was over and enjoyed a cuppa and a sandwich on the main square.

Just as we were walking towards the wharf Col suggested we visit a greek Orthodox Church and we both went WOW when we walked into the room it was incredible. The colours, decorations, paintings etc etc. I was so glad that he had suggested us going inside. Another amazing meal for tea tonight, I think it will be salads when I get home..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb