A day at sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean » Gulf of Mexico
January 25th 2012
Published: January 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After all the excitement of the sting rays yesterday, today has all been about rest and relaxation. A trip to the gym, a leisurely breakfast, an interesting lecture on the slave trade (there was a lot of it in the part of the world we're in right now). Had a wonderful lunch with two totally diverse couples. One was a dinosaur from Yorkshire who thinks computers are a total waste of time and money and who firmly believes that big band music is making a rapid return to major popularity at the moment! The other couple we met on the yacht yesterday and they're right up our street with a lot of interesting things to say and a brilliant ascerbic wit which was put to great use the moment the dinosaur left the table!

We got some pretty poor weather this morning with a lot of cloud and quite a bit of rain. But this afternoon, the wind dropped, the clouds vanished and the sun came out. So we went for a swim. But the morning's wind had really stirred the sea up so the impact on the pool was excellent. If you stayed in the same place - albeit only achievable by hanging on to something - you were in very shallow water one second and really rather deep water the next! It was all sloshing about like a cork. Excellent fun that was followed by a snooze in the sun. Unlike most cruise ships, Cunard have some areas of deck where there is no music. It means you can really relax and read a book or listen to your music on your iphone or just snooze. I plugged in to some of my favourite musicals tracks and then had to remember not to sing along; at least not out loud. Bette Midler nearly proved to be my downfall though. My feet definitely joined in with her and I've no idea if my voice did too ... or not.

We avoided all the formality tonight and went to the buffet instead as it was a curry night. The food was brilliant - just like being in the Bina in Caversham. Only somewhat warmer on the walk there in January!

It's Colombia tomorrow with a horse and carriage ride round the old town of Cartagena. And then maybe an emerald shop or two!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb