Milford Sound


Advertisement
Oceania
March 23rd 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

I'm behind again in posting. Yesterday, March 22, we went to Milford Sound. Maybe you have heard of this place? It is quite the journey to get there. As the crow flies, Milford Sound is only 38 km,but via bus it is a 4 hr drive/ride. Many people make this hike and then go on to hike the Milford Track. We found out you can hike with a guide who will carry your bags, make a 3 course dinner and a full breakfast. Now that's my kind of hiking!

Our motor coach with Real Journeys left Queenstown at 800am and arrived at Milford around 1215pm. We stopped at Te Anau for a quick stop to rest and get a bite to eat. Bill and I both had a Venison Pie! Excellent. Venison from farms is tender, not as gamey and has very little fat.

This ride is extremely scenic (like where is it not scenic on the west coast?) and there was once again many photo opportunities. We stopped at Mirror Lakes - awesome mountain reflections and next at Knob Flats (just for a toilet break). What was sigficant for me was the public toilet attendant was a medic. This person is stationed out in the wop wop's to tend to motorists and hikers that may have had an accident. Do you think the U.S. could afford or find someone to take this job?

Speaking of jobs, most of our guides and drivers hold masters degrees or have retired from high power jobs to chill and just work 70 hours a week with less responsibilities. Needless to say, you have very knowledgeable people giving information.

So, on our way to Milford Sound we also stopped for a moment to drink water from Monkey Creek. The tap water all over NZ is excellent and this creek water was no exception. We twisted and winded our way to The Chasm formed by the rushing waters of the Cleddau River. Very cool place and worth the short hike.

But, before we get to Milford we have on more surprise. We go through a one way tunnel. The Homer Tunnel - 1219m long.

At Milford we immediately get on the Mariner, a motor sailing ship. Milford sound is amazing. It is a true fjord because it was formed by a glacier and flooded by the Tasman Sea. The walls are so high it is hard to get perspective. Some of the mountains surrounding us are over 3000m. One over hang was sail under is higher than 5 Empire State buildings atop one another. We spot Fur Seals sunning, several waterfalls and make a turn in the Tasman Sea before returning to the marina.

Our ride home is quicker. We are pretty exhausted whan we return to Queenstown. We grabbed a quick dinner at the hotel and jumped in bed to snooze without moving the night through!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



23rd March 2012

Wow!!
Love the pic on the boat and the waterfall! There are thunderstorms around tonight. It is so colorful here! Spring has sprung! <3

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb