Franz Josef Glacier


Advertisement
Oceania
March 19th 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We finally had a leisurely morning. After a great night's sleep we walked down the street to the West Coast Wildlife Centre. The official home to the breeding and incubation program for the rarest Kiwi, the Rowi. We learned more about Kiwi's and observed two live Kiwi's. The are so cute, little round balls with long beaks always searching for food. We had lunch at the Landing, did some shopping and headed to our next adventure. We used Franz Josef Glacier Guides to take us to the glacier.

The glacier is very close to town. We took about a 10 minute bus ride then hiked toward the glacier. Our hike was approximately 6km with return. An easy hike until we got to the base or the end of the glacier. Allison was a real trooper? She probably hiked about 4km.

The glacier is one of few glaciers flowing into temperate rainforest. We did not go onto the ice,but tours are available.

After our hike we went to dinner. Guess where? Right, the Landing. There are other restaurants in town, but we enjoy the view of the Southern Aand, food and service. They also make the best Bloody Mary we have had since landing in NZ!

Advertisement



19th March 2012

Rain!
Beautiful pictures! Great to see your smiling faces! We had thunder and lightening and a good rain during the night and morning. Everything's budding, greening, blooming! It's a little cooler. Bugs... almost spring! Have a wonderful evening! I think it's nighttime there? I'm so confused! <3
20th March 2012

New Zealand
Looks like an awsome adventure you guys. Memories of a lifetime I am sure.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb