Rabual, Papua, New Guinea.


Advertisement
Papua New Guinea's flag
Oceania » Papua New Guinea » East New Britain » Rabaul
February 27th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rabaul New Guinea


Another place for a pin, but not much to see here except an active volcano named ´Turvurvur¡'.

It first erupted in 1994-95 and almost completely destroyed the town of Rabaul, not from flowing lava but because it was completely covered up with ashes.

I have enclosed a photo of Turvurvur as it looked when we sailed away last evening. It was in full glory, spewing forth smoke and ashes which made the air around town most unpleasant.

The second photo is of the waterfront and you can see that it doesn't compare at all to the beauty of the waterfronts in Auckland and Sydney.

Most of the passengers are not sure just why the Queen Victoria decided to include Rabaul on its list of places to stop for the day.

We are now on our way to Saipan, a small atoll, part of the Mariana Islands in the Philippine Sea. It was the scene of a difficult and bloody battle by U.S. marines and the army to dislodge the Japanese during World War II.

An adjacent island, Tinian, is where the B29 bombers took off to fly to Japan to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki that convinced Japan to surrender and ended the war.

Much love to all of you and your parents. Granddaddy and Granny Lynne



Please click on the links below for the tracking map, the Queen Victoria Bridge webcam and the Queen Victoria tracking map.

Chuck and Lynne's Satellite Tracking Map

Webcam on the Bridge of the Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria GPS Tracking Map



Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb