Dec. 1st: The quest for Lone Star


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 1st 2011
Published: December 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

38 42.58 S

178 07.40 E

Motoring 9.2 knots



Wind just died, so rolled up sail and are heading towards Gisborne

Crew: Cyrus shaving off the stern, Dre' eating apple on deck, Colby sleeping, Brooke just coming below to uplink mail

Commments:

After an uncomfortably rolly night at the anchorage, we woke at dawn, pulled anchor and headed for the 'dreaded East Cape'. The wind was supposed to be changing today and the winds lighten in the mornings.... and as we passed around the cape at 7:30am, we enjoyed a postiive current with us and seas that were quite comfortable. We have been sailing most of the day, watching birds dip and dive, rolling pastureland, cliffs and spires of rock of every color and shape rise out of the churning green ocean and a few dotted homes that are truly 'in the middle of nowhere' (lucky them). Mile after mile passes slowly alongside us and I have concluded.. there just aren't a whole heck of a lot of people out here. It is so rural and lovely.

To avoid another Southern blow in a couple of days (we must time our jumps down the coast) we decided at the last minute to stop in Gisborne after deciding the coastline is not so hospitable in these parts and anchorages are far and few.. and most are quite exposed and uncomfortable... beautiful but with habits that annoy you in the night. So I find phone number in a marine directory booklet we were given for the 'marina'.

"YELLO?!??!!"

"Ummm.. is this East Cape Marina? I answer.

"YEEAH"

"Oh, we'll we are a 68 foot sailing vessel with a 4 meter draft looking to possibly stop this evening, would you have any room for us?"

"CRIKEY! YEAH A BIG BASTAD ARN'T YA?!"

"Um... (I laugh) yes, I suppose we are... compared to other smaller boats"

"AHHH YEAH, YOU SAY! Gee Criminey, ahhh, Guessin you justa come to ure lef and on tha South bit, park at lonesta"

"oh... ummm.. ok. Park at "Lone sta?" I don't know what that means, but ok"

"Ahhh, geesh, you'd see it on ur lef. Lone Sta. Lone Sta."

"oh.. ok, so well, we expect to be in around 4:30 pm tonight"

"AHHH! SWEET AS!"

click.





Cyrus: "So what did he say?"

me: "well, I believe they said they can handle our draft and we are to head for the Southern end and tie up near "Lone star""

Cyrus: "What is Lone star?"

me: "I have no idea. I could barely understand him, but I think they are expecting us."

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb