Berrytown Knifemaking


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Greymouth
September 9th 2006
Published: October 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Drove out to the West Coast to go make a knife. Stayed in Greymouth at a very cool Backpacker called the Global Traveler Backpacker. It had a nice african feel and look. In the morning we headed up to Berrytown to a couples place that run a knife making buisness there. We were one of two couples making knifes that day which ended up being perfect. Started of with heating and banging to shit out of a piece of metal to form the shape and harden the blade area. Then we cut the handles out and places them and copper bits to form the handle. Next we did a ton of sanding on belt sanders. Ending the whole thing with hand sanding. Durring breaks we threw some axes and saw their baby sheep. At the end of the day we had a go on a swing which was very tall. Had toasted sandwiches for lunch and ended the day with some "white lightning" similar to moon shine. They were a great couple and made it a great day. The next day we walked the beach looking for Jade hoping to find some but didn't. Steven, the man running the knife making has a large collection of Jade he has found on the beach over the years including a hand sized piece he just found worth over $500. Too bad we didn't find any like that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Global VillageGlobal Village
Global Village

Where we stayed
LoungeLounge
Lounge

I want wall paper of the world.
Barrytown BeachBarrytown Beach
Barrytown Beach

The beach that we walked for a bit looking for anything that looked like Jade.


4th October 2006

Cool Knife
I can't wait to see the knife in person. It looks like an awesome thing to do.
12th November 2006

Knife Making best fun in New Zealand
The knife making is the best fun so far. Well worth it and a wonderful day. Thanks to wonderful hosts. The swing was awesome too. Its worth making a booking so phone Steve or Robyn on 03 - 7311053

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb