Chilly New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
March 30th 2008
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a tiresome 30 hour journey from the Philippinnes to Christchurch, we couldn't wait to touch down in NZ. Our flight flew across the mountain ranges of the South Island, and gave us a taster of what was to come on our travels here!

After 14 hours sleep in Christchurch on our first night we thought we had got over the jet lag really well. However, we didn't sleep at all well for three nights thereafter. Christchurch is very much like home from home and a bit of a culture shock having been in SE Asia for 2 and half months. No street sellers in your face or sewerage trickling down the gutter. Beautiful botanical gardens and quaint little tea rooms confused us somewhat after the hussle and bussle of street life in SE Asia.

Chrsitchurch jazz festival was on the menu so we found a really lovely pub down the back streets (not dissimilar to Neils Yard, Covent Garden) and sat back to the sounds of street jazz.

We have hired a car for a few days as the price of campervans drops by about 50% on the 1st April. Our first stop outside of Christchurch was Lake Takepo. With 350 inhabitants, a pie shop and a petrol station, theres not much to do here other than climb Mount John and visit the Spa.

From Lake Takepo we headed south to Wanaka, where we we have two nights in a lovely hostel that seems to be filled with crochet enthusiasts and bread makers. On the way we took the road to Mount Cook for some breathtaking views of one of the tallest mountains in NZ. The weather couldn't have been more perfect for us as you will see from the photos.

Tomorrow we head for Queenstown to indulge in some outdoor activities and pick up our campervan with extra bedding for the cold nights that are on their way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



31st March 2008

U Lucky Monkeys
We miss u so much it sometimes hurts. U said u'd never leave us again after Mui Ni -but u have! A years too long! We will be in thailand for a few months from beginning of Jan.PLEASE PLEASE change your flights and meet us there! 'Can i touch your tatch?' Love u's like a prozzie loves ladd. xxx
31st March 2008

SO FIRST OF ALL YOU SEE ROBINSON CRUSOE AND NOW DAVID BELLAMY TURNS UP!!!! WHAT A BEARD!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb