Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Queenstown cable carQueenstown cable carQueenstown cable car

Sit still Barry, this thing is is coming of the wire!
A wonderful town located on the southern lake district of the south island. Cosmopolitan feel and restaurants to match. Stunning scenery with the lake surrounded by mountains and activities winter and summer taking place here.



We visited a conservation project in a bird park and were privileged to see a breeding pair of kiwi. This is a flightless bird, endangered save for the breeding programme. They are nocturnal creatures so the enclosure is bathed in red light to create the impression of darkness to the bird and, when the tourists have departed, the keepers change the light to fluorescent to simulate daylight so the birds return to their burrows (they are a cross between bird and mammal). We were very lucky in that not only did we see the birds copulate but they also called out to one another and, apparently, even some of the keepers have not witnessed this.



We then took the cable car to the top of the mountain where we watched bungy jumping and para gliding. Needless to say I didn't volunteer for either.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Queenstown Queenstown
Queenstown

A view from the top
High fliersHigh fliers
High fliers

I though about it briefly along with the bungy jump
Queenstown Queenstown
Queenstown

Another view of the lake


18th November 2012

Looks warmer! bungee never appealed to me either x x

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb