Plenty of ice but no gin and tonic!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
August 2nd 2010
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Don't even know where to begin with this update, Ive done so much already!

Started off on the North Island with a bit of kayaking. The guide made us hot chocolate on a deserted beach near Cathedral Cove. In the evening we went to hot water beach and dug holes in the sand which filled with hot geothermal water. It was a bit surreal lying in 4 inches of boiling water while others stood around in coats and scarves too chicken to get in!

There's been plenty of long walks and i tried a bit of horse riding for the first time. It was great fun but I'm more of a petrol head than animal lover so decided that quad biking was more my thing. Off roading through streams and up mountains was right up my street, got a free mud facial at the same time!

The weather has been great, freezing but beautiful and sunny most days. The scenery is stunning, picture postcard beautiful everyday. Made the necessary purchase of a hot water bottle and fleecy penguin pyjamas!

We've been Whale watching and got pretty close to four sperm whales and a pod of dolphins. Also stumbled across a colony of Seals whilst walking by the coast, the seals were literally in our path and we have to back track rapidly to stop the growling!

I took a helicopter to the middle of the Franz Joseph glacier and walked through ice canyons and ice caves. We also slid down a frozen river and eat thousand year old glacier ice cubes, i should of brought a mini gin and tonic.

We went to a thermal village and eat a Hangi Meal all boiled in the hot steam. It was a strange combination of flavours, chicken and sulphur, yuk. Watched a Maori show with plenty of tongue waggling, it was suppose to be scary?!!! We went to Hells Gate mud and sulphur baths. Emerged with beautiful soft skin but stank like rotten eggs for days!

Also stayed on a proper kiwi farm called Blue Duck Lodge and got to ride the jeep with Farmer Dan and herd sheep in the afternoon. I'm in Queenstown for a few days at the moment. Its a big ski resort and the Apres Ski nightlife lives up to the hype!

Everywhere looks like a set from Lord of the Rings and some of the locals in the smaller villages seems a little hobbit like! Been through Hobbiton and hiked to the waterfall where Gollum apparently eat a fish. Callum decided to take an alfresco shower in the waterfall, it was quite a sight to see. He's an underwear model/part time boxer. Enjoy the pictures ladies :0)



Additional photos below
Photos: 125, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd August 2010

Photo 84
Photo 84 - "Oh Dave Milford, you're so funny"
3rd August 2010

The bod!
Well..... thought I should comment on the hot body featured in this update! Thank you Alice/boxer-underwear model for making me smile this morning!! I'm sure I won't be the only one who is looking at that pic VERY closely!! On another note it's great to know that the hairdryer was a fantastic purchase...... I was beginning to worry that you would be locked in a world of plaits and big hair forever. p.s I've also spotted the bearded man.... any romance there Al?!
3rd August 2010

bearded man
yes Callum is a sight to behold! he's got more comments than any of my other blog updates! its an 8 to 1, man to woman ratio here in Queenstown. Im staying here for a bit longer :0)
3rd August 2010

p.s.
You can thank Callum for the hair straighteners im using, they are his! ha ha
3rd August 2010

Wow
Glad you're in Nw Zealand now, hope you're loving it, I wanna be there!!!
3rd August 2010

wow!!1
What stunning scenery Alice!!!!!!!
12th August 2010

MMMMMMM tasty!!
Oh my god finally a bit of tasty in your pics! Can Callum come home with you?????? you've certainly been up to loads mrs...enjoy your last week in NZ and your few weeks in Fiji..can't wait to see you in Sept. love ya Sam xxx

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb