NZ; Lake Wanaka, Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
April 4th 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NZ; Lake Wanaka, Queenstown, Rangitara Rafting


We headed inland further towards the great lakes, including Lake Wanaka. We stopped off at a small cafe that overlooked the Cook mountain range. We went for a short walk and were able to see Mount Cook in the reflection of the lake, just in time as the weather soon deteriorated. We then carried on through the Haast Pass, and despite it sounding dangerous, it was merely the boundary line over the mountains. On the western side the weather was very wet, with the water from the pacific unable to get over the mountains. The climate on the east was very arid, and although mountainous, it was much drier. We arrived at Lake Wanaka, a huge lake set in the backdrop of the mountains. We had to stay in a Base hostel, which although was clean had little else going on. We were able to find a nice spot where we could watch the sunset, which sank very quickly, before having dinner and turning in.

The next day we headed again further south to queens town. however, just out of Wanaka we stopped at Puzzleworld, a great little place that has a large maze and strange optical illusions, with wonky rooms, moving faces and mirrors. a good time was had by all.

Just before Queenstown we stopped off at Arrowtown, home town of our driver Rich. A really quint place, with one row of pie, confectionery and generally traditional style shops. we then went to the first ever bungy location with a few of the commuters taking the plunge, ending in a brief splash in the water. We then headed into Queenstown; a busy bustling town, where the young,rich and trendy like ourselves, hang out. We sampled the excellent nightlife as we went out with our coach, as we had been together for a while and would be splitting up, and ended up at World Bar, where the cocktails are served out of teapots. We had a really good night and went to bed feeling sore.

The next day we went and explored the town properly, walking around the shopping areas, and along the waterfront, before heading into the botanic gardens, which pertruded out into Lake Wakatipu. The aprk area had a frisbee golf 'course'. A game crossed between frisbee and golf, whereby the player takes turns to throw there frisbee from where it landed towards the 'hole'. Some of us took to it like ducks to water. Suz did not. After finishing our round we had a drink by the lake and played with a dog that had too much skin around its face. we headed home and had a Fergburger - the best burger place in the world. Literally. and went out to continue with our pool regatta.

We then had a bit of a lazy day, spent by the waterfront skimming stones and climbing trees. We had Spag Bol by candlelight as Earth Hour was in effect, whereby all the lights in the area are turned off to save the planet, groovy.

We then had an early start, going for a walk in the morning and watching some paragliders doing all sorts of tricks and trying to land on a small platform in the middle of the lake. It was great fun, especially when they got wet! Mark then headed off to the meeting place with all the daredevils to go bungy jumping! I decided that it is best to go hard or go home, and as we had a lot to do, i decided to plunge myself off the Nevis bungy, all 134m above earth! Freefalling for 8 seconds towards a ravine that got increasingly closer very quickly with just the wind whistling through my ears. Very fun indeed! Suzanna meanwhile, opting out of the jumping, went for a high thrill jet boat ride down the Shotover river, through the canyon, coming very close to bridges and rocks and skimming over sand banks at break neck speeds. Needless to say, we both had fairly adventurous days, and went to bed with the sense of achievement.

The next day, we spent most of the day travelling north, leaving early and travelling north stopping at Lake Tikapo, that despite the overcast day had good views over the mountain surrounded lake. It also strangely had a small chapel right next to the lake, which seemed to be more of a tourist attraction than a religious sanctuary. We continued north arriving in Geraldine for our booked shuttle to the Rangatira river. We had booked a White water rafting adventure day, whereby we stayed a night in a really pretty wooden lodge, set in 26,000 acre farmland. After having the evening alone, with 5 other guests we woke the next day for breakfast and early lunch before heading onto the river.

We stayed in a raft with our bus buddies, and were taught the basics after being put into our wetsuits and thermals as the water was from the glaciers and very very cold. After practicing a few turns with our Driver/Steerer/Commander/Skipper Jason, we head down our first small grade II rapid where our front man fell straight in. Very funny indeed. We eventually ended up going down two grade Vs, one under the severest grade VI, with us all hanging on for dear life, getting incredibly wet, and paddling very hard. Despite the cold, hard work and being soaked through, we all had a fantastic time. We then stopped a bit further down, where those that wanted to, could jump off a cliff 5m and 9m high, into the water. With the camerman that followed us all the way down taking pictures of us as we jumped into the water.

Having reached our pick up point, we disembarked, showered and got taken to our next port of call, Christchurch. Having already been here we felt like old hands, and will not go into details of our stay.






Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



11th April 2010

great to get your news.
Hi there! Glad to hear that you are still having an amazing time! Don't fancy the bungy jump;assume Mark recovered quickly from the experience. The jet boat ride sounds pretty thrilling as well Suzanna! Punting in Cambridge will seem very tame after the white water rafting, on the other hand it's always a good family day out. Looking forward to hearing more about your amazing adventures! Molly had a trip to the vet for her injections. She is very well for neary 14 years old and has managed to keep her weight down!Sorry you missed out on Easter eggs this year but Jenni has put on a brave face (being a chocoholic) and has consumed more than her fair share! Mum, Dad, Jenni, Molly.
11th April 2010

photos
PS. Have just seen your extra photos and really enjoyed looking at them!Very funny!
12th April 2010

New Zealand certainly has been exciting! Can not believe you have jumped out of a plane, been white water rafting and done a bungy jump - you must be both mad! Glad to hear you survived all the extreme sports, now you can look forward to what Australia has to offer! Take care, lots of love the Saunders clan
14th April 2010

Wow!
Hey guys, glad to hear you're having a blast. I have to say, with all the ridiculous extreme sports you're piling into the trip, I'm very jealous!! Life in the office is far more routine and Jenni and I are having travelling withdrawal reading about yours. We're off to the Lake District next week with my folks but the most extreme thing we'll probably do is catch a steam train down a valley.... so there! Anyway, keep up the good work, it's great following your adventures on here. Hope you're both well. Joe.

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb