New Zealand Part 3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
March 16th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had a lovely few days in pretty Arrowtown. We met a geordie couple from Gosforth & talking to them made us feel at home. We moved on to Wanaka & did a good walk up to a glacier, even better was our trip to Puzzle world. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to complete the maze there. Not the usual way i spend my time! Next we went up to the glaciers & did a days walking on the Franz Joseph glacier with plenty of layers on & our crampons. It was really good fun walking on the ice & we went through a few tight squeezes. They took us to a new route through a split in the ice. Lets just say it was touch & go that we got through, a girl who was around the same size as me actually got stuck for a few minutes until we pushed her through I was quite nervous following on after but luckily didn't get stuck. I'm glad i'd not had too many icecreams that week! We carried on up the West Coast of the South island & stayed the night at an Eco lode which was run on solar power & had decomposing toilets. It was a lovely place & in the middle of nowhere. We met a great group of German people & carried on to Abel Tasmin National Park with them. We did a walk that was supposed to take 7 hours but ended up taking 9 hours, we were pretty tired after that! We are now in Picton & getting the ferry over to the North island tomorrow for our last week in NZ!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Abel TasminAbel Tasmin
Abel Tasmin

In the Water taxi


23rd March 2010

Oh my I am loving the glaciers - how cool do they look!! (boom boom, i am soo funny!!) Hope you guys are good and still enjoying the freedom of travel. Us northerners are missing you heaps but loving the updates. Lots of love xxxx

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb