Otago Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
February 24th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to a better day, the rain had stopped! Got the tent down, had breakfast and off to the Otago Peninsula. This area is known for it’s blue penguins, albatrosses and fur seals.
We drove along the coastal road first up to the tip of the peninsula. We walked down to one of the beaches and there were male fur seals all over the place, sleeping their dinner off! The main area is fenced off to protect them but 4 had come around to our side and were not afraid! We got quite close to get some photo’s. One of them was on his back and snoring - so funny! Sounded like a motorbike ticking over! They were lovely to watch. We walked along the sand and saw a dead penguin  , the sign there said to come back at 9pm to see them all come in, unfortunately we were off to Mount Cook today.
On the way back we drove the high road, the views were gorgeous, farm land, sheep and views of the white beaches. We stopped to get some petrol and also at the Mitre 10 ( where we bought our tent ) in Dunedin as 2 of the tent poles had broken. They didn’t have our tent to be able to replace them so we had to try somewhere else.
Then off we went for the 4hr1/2 drive to Mount Cook. We drove through Oamaru, Omarara and Twizel...the names here are quite cool! We got stopped by another sheep crossing!
We arrived at 6pm and the mountains are amazing. We stayed in the Doc campsite and there was an indoor area with tables and sinks as well as wc’s - not bad! It was weird to think we were sleeping in a tent at the base of a snowy mountain...well Chris...i opted for the car again!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb