Big Balls


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
January 24th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey y'all

We met up with some Texans yesterday. Hence the greeting.

As for the title - that has nothing to do with the Texans. They were both girls.
More about the balls later though.

We may have been a little wrong on our thought that we were "natured out". One day in the larger city of Dunedin was all we needed to set us straight. The town itself was nice. We spent some time at the Southern Pride of NZ beer factory - Speights Brewery. At the end of the obligatory tour, we were set free in the bar, where we were given 30 minutes of free beer and allowed to pour our own beer from the taps. Nancy fell in love with Harvest, with a hint of Apricot (reminded her of Kawarthas Raspberry wheat - yummy!) and Fraser really liked... all of them. If you are now picturing Fraser with his his mouth under the taps, you're not far off!

Of course we had to balance this tour with a tour of the Cadbury chololate factory. We didn't thinkit was possible, but they actually gave us an equal amount of free chocolate. The only differene was that we were able to take it with us, rather than guzzle it down like a bunch of first year university students.

While being in the city we did take a break from cooking our own meals and enjoyed some of the tasty restaurants and delicious coffee the town had to offer. Food is not cheap here. Going out is expensive, unless you treat yourself to NZ meat pies... which are delicious and a mere $5! Fraser had made it a point to conduct a research study on who has the best ones!

The area which we are now in (the south east) is famous for their Sea birds. We spent our second day on the Otago Peninsula, hiking along the coast looking for penguins and Albatross. We had no luck (yet!) with the penguins, but we did see two Albatross flying. Man! That is one big bird!

Finally we arrive at the present, and we get to the subject line. On our way to Omaru (penguin capital of the world) we stopped in the Waitaki Valley to check out their one claim to fame - some freaky rock formations. Of course we could not hold back our giggles, but it was not just us! Every tourist from every country had a moment. Enjoy the pics!

Only four days left in NZ. We fly to Tasmania on the 28th.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

LeapingLeaping
Leaping

Don't do it! The sheep say 'naaa'.
SheepSheep
Sheep

One of 70 million. Literally.
Moeraki BouldersMoeraki Boulders
Moeraki Boulders

Hanging out.
On top of the world.On top of the world.
On top of the world.

And we thought we were down under.
Somebody's got big shoes to fillSomebody's got big shoes to fill
Somebody's got big shoes to fill

Uhh, can I get this in an 8?
This farmer means businessThis farmer means business
This farmer means business

He must really love his sheep.
Crazy parrot in the alpsCrazy parrot in the alps
Crazy parrot in the alps

We were really looking forward to seeing a Kea, an alpine parrot. Turns out this one was really looking forward to seeing us. He tried to get at our lunch, and when that didn't fly, he then tackled our rental car, with mixed results.


24th January 2010

I am loving your pictures and commentary!!! Keep an eye out for older tourists. Dave's Mom and Dad are over there right now too. If you run into any tour groups with a cruise ship, ask for the Willards!
24th January 2010

Spigots
I have never seen Fraser so happy as when he is in full control of the spigots. I thought he would stay there the rest of the trip.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb