Picton-Nelson-Abel Tasman


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region
February 27th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

February 27, 2009 -

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give the stupid beholder a black eye.” Miss Piggy

No black eye necessary here. The Sounds are awesome!

I left Ron & Paula’s both excited to get on with the trip and heavy hearted with the weight of loosing Matt. The morning part of my journey is from Picton to Nelson. A windy and beautiful road through the Sounds passing through Havelock. Nelson is a picturesque town with large flowering baskets hanging along the three principle streets. It shows the signs of a cruise ship port with the usual upscale shops. I stopped at a Café and bought my lunch, my first meat pie, excellent chicken and mushroom. (considerably better than the infamous frozen pot pies in the U.S.) Wandering around I find an Internet café, it is getting easier. Out of town and headed for Marahau, one of the entry points for the Abel Tasman National Park. Marahau is an isolated little town with everything focused on serving the park including the kayaking, water taxi and mountain biking popular here. Situated on a long flat beach, nearly half mile to the water at low tide, It by it’s self isn’t very scenic. That is left to the park. I had a dinner of chowder & a local beer at the restaurant next to the holiday park and off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

RiverRiver
River

River at Totara Flats
Jucy Jucy
Jucy

My home away from home


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb