From One National Park to Another


Advertisement
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 519 (29.08.08)

We had wanted to go sea kayaking in the Abel Tasman but the weather wasn't up to much and we decided we'd have to leave this treat for another visit.

We set off and made our way over the fertile plains in the Nelson area where a lot of fruit is grown. A quick stop at a little roadside stall saw us gain a huge bag of kiwis for the bargain price of $2 - a good thing to look out for around here.

We stopped into the Nelson Lakes National Park for a quick visit and chose Lake Rotoiti as it was the most accessible. We made a quick loop of the Bellbird walk accompanied by some fantastic birdsong - we did spot a couple of bell birds but they were a little too skittish for pictures! We drove up Mount Robert Road for a spot of lunch with great views over the lake and down to the snowy mountains on the other side of the ridge.

Murchison was our final stop for the day so we found somewhere to stay for the night before driving out to visit the Maruia Falls originally created by an earthquake several years ago. An impressive amount of water thundered over the top and we watched it for some time.

We finished another great day with wine on the veranda (darling!) overlooking the snowcapped mountains in the distance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb