Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Motueka
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Motueka
Latest Blogs from Motueka
- April 28th 2013 No Sunday blues over here
by Words: 325 Photos: 2
- February 28th 2013 Moteuka
by Words: 198 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2013 Home sweet Golden Bay
by Words: 2176 Photos: 0
- December 17th 2012 Pupu Springs
by Words: 137 Photos: 14
- February 28th 2012 First Taste of the South Island
by Words: 193 Photos: 3
- December 15th 2011 start of south island
by Words: 142 Photos: 1
- December 7th 2011 Regen , regen en nog es regen
by Words: 526 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2011 What is a Blog?
by Words: 488 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2011 Leaving "Home"
by Words: 791 Photos: 0
- April 19th 2011 Information received for Italy
by Words: 59 Photos: 1
- April 12th 2011 Meeting the Locals and Figuring it All Out
by Words: 612 Photos: 0
- March 22nd 2011 Tuesday 22nd March - Motueka
by Words: 546 Photos: 7
- February 5th 2011 Det lille landbrug
by Words: 442 Photos: 0
- December 7th 2010 Going south ...
by Words: 1054 Photos: 14
- November 19th 2010 Day 16 Thursday
by Words: 254 Photos: 3
- August 29th 2010 New Zealand - Motueka
by Words: 87 Photos: 9
- June 8th 2010 Resurgence
by Words: 318 Photos: 35
- June 1st 2010 Handglide
by Words: 10 Photos: 17
- March 12th 2010 Mal aux petits os et nuits pas reposantes !
by Words: 406 Photos: 13
- November 6th 2009 Going up the Island.
by Words: 214 Photos: 0