Day 33 - Sealy Tarns, Lake Tekapo, and some sad news.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
December 9th 2006
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Phil and Shelley near Sealy TarnsPhil and Shelley near Sealy TarnsPhil and Shelley near Sealy Tarns

Photograph by Shelley Walker
After a freezing cold night we reluctantly got out of bed where it was almost warm. Last night required us sleeping in thermals, t-shirts, and fleeces! It was warmer inside the fridge! After a night of rain (at lower levels); we awoke to find the mountains with a much lower snow line - it looked great.

The day started with a walk up to Sealy Tarns. It was a good steep climb with a few hands-on sections which was good. We soon ended up above the snowline, and the views were brilliants. We could see (most of) Mt Cook, and Mt Sefton and the Tasman Glacier (among other big mountains and glaciers.

Late afternoon we headed to Lake Tekapo to see the Church of the Good Shepherd; which was very picturesque (thanks to Chris for the tip!).

Unfortunately while at Lake Tekapo we received some bad news while checking our email; Phil's Grandad had passed away at Scarborough Hospital. Being so far away and not being able to attend the funeral on the 12th made it even more difficult. A sad end to the day. Rest in Peace Wilfred Walker.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Shelley in the Lupins at Lake TekapoShelley in the Lupins at Lake Tekapo
Shelley in the Lupins at Lake Tekapo

Photograph by Phil Walker


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb