Seal Swim


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
January 7th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We went into a local dive shop this morning and got suited up for the snorkel with seals. We each wore a 7mm "farmer john" wetsuit (overalls), and a 7mm long sleve wetsuit jacket. Plus of course booties and a hood. This is the coldest water that we've ever snorkeled in at about 12C (53F). With us we had a guide, boat pilot (from the very similar Tofino, Canada), underwater photographer, and two other customers that had never snorkeled before.

We took a gutted out van down to the docks, and hopped on a small boat that took us out to a cove where hundreds of seals laid out on the rocks. We basically then jumped in the water, and half swam, half crawled over seaweed covered rocks. Initially the water was really cold, but once we started swimming it was tolerable. And once some seals came over, we totally forgot about the cold.

The seals were really fun to swim with - they're so much like dogs. They were very curious, and spent a lot of time swimming around us. They like to hang upside down and pivot around and look at everyone. They basically didn't have anywhere else to be, so they just hung around as we looked at other fish and animal life amongst the seaweed.

The two other people on our trip did a great job at snorkeling for their first time - quite a way to start out! J is "pumped" to go diving back in Seattle now after this great experience in the cold part of the ocean. And we definitely recommend diving with seals if you get a chance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th September 2007

Diving in the NW
That is so awesome guys! I was hoping to get my dive cert. this summer during my time on San Juan, but just ran out of time. It is definitely on my list though so I'll look forward to hearing stories when our paths cross again...
16th September 2007

lucky you! looks like great fun to swim with seals! again, you guys did everything i'd wanna do!! so great!!! :) i always love to see the pictures!!!

Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 37; qc: 152; dbt: 0.173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb