New Zealand - West Coast and Franz Josef - Feb 25


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
February 25th 2014
Published: March 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Kawarau Bridge BungyThe Kawarau Bridge BungyThe Kawarau Bridge Bungy

Home of the first bungee jump!
I woke up in Queenstown around 8am exhausted but without a car and my schedule now is controlled by the bus, which I must catch at 9:15.



I found a great seat on the back of the bus and sat back to let someone do the driving while I drink in the scenery. This is supposed to be one of the most scenic drives in NZ and maybe even the world! It doesn't disappoint. We passed by the river where the first bungee jump took place, through beautiful vineyards in the Otago region, Wanaka, a sweet town that is supposed to be a quieter version of Queenstown, through the Haast pass with its many waterfalls and start up along the west coast. All the while the driver provided excellent commentary, most of which I have promptly forgotten ;-( We stopped at a salmon farm for lunch and finally, about eight hours later, he dropped us off at the end of the line for today at Franz Josef, a glacier named by Australian geologist Julius Haase in 1865 after the Australian emperor in hopes of getting more funding to continue his explorations (it didn't work).



I checked into the excellent Franz Josef YHA Hostel and met Luz, a traveller originally from Peru who is now a Canadian citizen living in Abu Dhabi. We decided to walk to the glacier which is about a one hour walk to the trailhead and another 45 minute walk to the viewing point. The walk goes quickly as we chat. Luz tells me about working in the Middle East. She is an IT auditor and is getting ready to leave after two years. "It is too difficult the way they treat local women" and she tells me some true horror stories about what her personal local girl friends must endure.



We finally reached the glacier. It is a little strange to see such tropical foliage so close to ice. And it is striking how quickly the glacier is receding. We snapped some photos and walked back to the trailhead. We were tired and were not looking forward to the hour walk back to the hostel. I boldly stuck out my thumb and a couple from Minnesota stopped and offered us a ride back. Turns out they are in the hotel right next to ours and they kindly drove us there.



Hungry we found a place to eat and continued our conversations over wine and thai food. We returned to our hostel to get some sleep. We both had to be up to catch the bus then next day to Nelson.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Franz Josef GlacierFranz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier

Me with the glacier in the background.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb