New Zealand, Glacier Hiking and Biking


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
April 4th 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ended up being too foggy for us to do the Helicopter ride, so instead we hiked the Glacier - going up. Stunning views, ice caves, holes that go all the way through, chunks of it falling off while we were there. A great tour.

After that headed to the hot pools, glacier water filled pools that are heated. Stayed in those for over an hour, they are outside and it was misting out, great way to finish after the hike on the glacier.

Ate a simple dinner outside in town, still misting, but covered patio with heaters, a few glasses of wine later and back to the hotel. Another great day.

Today we biked 90K, it was raining the first 45K. But like the locals say, don't visit a rainforest if you don't expect it to rain! It was very cool - all of the 90K was through a rain forest. Ended the bike ride at Moreki Nature lodge -sister lodger to the Arthur's Pass Lodge and just as spectactular. Another wonderful view from our view. The rain gear I brought turned out to be totally useful.

The internet availability is very sketchy here, still not able to use my computer often. Maybe tomorrow I can get pictures loaded, have some more wonderful ones to share.

Only three days left to enjoy myself, sigh. But it has been everything I had hoped for!

Off to drink a beer and have some dinner.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb