Fabulous Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
March 18th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our drive from Queenstown to Fox Glacier took about 5 hours. We stopped many times to take photos of the outstanding scenery. Bright blue Lake Hawea was lovely in the sunshine and the mountains were reflected in the still waters of the lake.

Next day we were up early for our “fox trot” visit to the Fox Glacier. This was one of the main highlights of our time in New Zealand so far. It was great to put on the crampons and walk on the ice. It was a really exhilarating experience to walk on the ice flow, see the ice melting and the different shapes and colours of the ice. It takes about 60 years for the ice to flow from the top to the bottom of the glacier. Unfortunately the glacier face is retreating in recent times.

While we were in Fox village we took time to visit to Gillespie beach a long pebble beach with lots of driftwood and super views of snow capped mountains in the distance.

In the early evening we took a stroll in the woodland shade around Lake Matheson.

What a location - beach, tropical forest and snowy mountains all within a few kilometres.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



18th March 2013

Fox Glacier in all weathers!
It was pouring down with rain the last time we walked on Fox Glacier; not that the rain stopped us but it certainly helped to understand how the glacier changes and the water finds a new way to escape! So glad you got a brilliant day weatherwise. M xx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb