Queenstown --------> Wanaka -----------> Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
September 5th 2011
Published: September 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 August 25:

Morning broke and it was time to move on from the lovely village of Queenstown. We filled the trunk of Roaring Meg with our bags and loaded the six of us into the five passenger car (which of course meant troll got shotgun). We turned left and headed to our next destination Fox Glacier with a quick pit stop in Wanaka. After driving literally up and through a mountain which at some points we thought Meg was not going to make it and roll backwards off a cliff, we arrived in Wanaka. Wanaka (an hour away from Queenstown) lies upon one of the biggest lake in New Zealand. Being the trampers that we are we of course needed to go for a hike, although after what we went through the day before we opted for a "light hike." The six of us took a nice well marked track up to Diamond lake over look, which while was a nice hike and view the lake itself looked more like an ice cream cone then a diamond.

That afternoon we continued on to Fox Glacier. We arrived there right after dark... never drive in New Zealand at night! The town consisted of a single street with a hostel, hotel, and restaurant/bar which we found out quickly closes down at 730pm.

Day 6 August 26:

Suited up for our adventurous day on Fox Glacier and me and mom made our way to the cafe/sign in building. Of course we grabbed a coffee and breakfast there and to our surprise was probably the best one we had on the whole trip. Afterwards we were called into the back to get all our gear for the day... boots, jackets, pants, hats, mittens, and cramp-ons!!!!! Filed into a bus and driven out to the face of the glacier, were we were split into two groups. In our group there was the six of us and then two asians who for some reason refused to go into the other group of three Singaporeans.

First we hiked up rocks and mud for about an hour until we actually hit the glacier access. It is really hard to describe in words the experience we had on the glacier I will just let the pictures do the talking. It was amazing just walking around on the ice, there were lakes, little water falls, caves to crawl through, and huge holes to go into. Out guide was from Texas and really enjoyed our company. Molly was also able to take pictures next to her rock and also of course pee on the glacier.

Returning for the glacier we did not want to spend another night in a single street town that shut down at 7.30 so we packed up roaring meg. Troll tried to sit in the back seat this time and Molly had to break it to her that she was just too big and needed to sit in the front.



RE


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb