Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Bluff
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bluff
Latest Blogs from Bluff
- March 25th 2012 Am i Bluff(ing)
by Words: 551 Photos: 11
- March 8th 2012 Catlins, Otago, Cantebury and Mt Cook
by Words: 693 Photos: 12
- March 19th 2011 Day 6: Invercargill - Bluff
by Words: 330 Photos: 6
- April 1st 2010 CYCLE TOUR - WHO'S BLUFFING
by Words: 701 Photos: 11
- March 25th 2010 CYCLE TOUR - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
by Words: 757 Photos: 8
- February 21st 2010 It's Not the End of the Earth...But You Can See It From There!
by Words: 555 Photos: 7
- October 28th 2009 Chad says "Alo Govna"
by Words: 47 Photos: 2
- February 26th 2009 Glowworm cave to Bluff
by Words: 327 Photos: 8
- November 11th 2007 done and dusted , over and out
by Words: 1166 Photos: 22
- May 25th 2007 my favorute beach in the world (so far!)
by Words: 664 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2007 a beautiful day.....
by Words: 298 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2007 New Zealand Road Trip
by Words: 211 Photos: 7
- April 20th 2007 Bluff Sea Food Festival
by Words: 421 Photos: 7
- March 13th 2007 Bluff - southern limit
by Words: 176 Photos: 3