The North Island Trek South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 31st 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rotorura – or “Rotten”rura was the next stop of the kiwi bus. It is rotten because it smells like rotting eggs due to the sulphur in the air. This area is full of geothermal activity (Jon’s family – he was pretty excited like a kid on Christmas) some of the highlights were seeing geysers go off and active mud pools as well as the kiwi bird sighting. Our entire bus had the chance to go luging and we all raced down the hills and there were some serious wipe outs it was at the top of the gondola so the view would have been beautiful if it wasn’t pouring rain! At night I went to a Maori Culture evening. It was a dinner show one of my favourite activities I have done in NZ. There was delicious food that was steamed in the ground and some great singing and chanting and they put on a great haka show.
The next day we went to Waitomo. This is a very small town but the whole point of going is to go black water rafting through caves. You are put in wetsuits and given a tire tube and they guide you through this massive cave. There are little lights on your helmet that you shut off at one point and you had the person in front of you hold your feet in the cave so that we could just float along and see all the glow worms in the cave probably the coolest thing I have ever seen.
On the bus again we arrived in Taupo three days ago. We have attempted the Tongariro crossing (big LOTR tourist attraction) which is a 20km trek twice so far with no success. The 5am departure time hasn’t worked with our schedule but one of these days we will make it there. Here in Taupo till Sunday for sure.
Colleen


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st March 2011
The Bus Driver- Guy

Hmm, Colleen ..... I assume that the bus driver guy is the one in blue. Now about the background guy in the pink sateen number? Is he a native Kiwi too?
31st March 2011

Pink Satin
No.... he was just a little bonus at the bar only guy dressed up I think he lost a bet ;)

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb