Around New Zealand in a Campervan Nobody Wanted


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 18th 2005
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gerry and Denise's Journey so far


The Signing of the Treaty of WaitangiThe Signing of the Treaty of WaitangiThe Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi

This is a stained glass window in the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute at Rotorua. The Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840 between Great Britain and the Maori chiefs, supposedly one of the 'best deals' ever between an empire and the indigenous people of one of its colonies. Today the Maori people are still trying to claim land under this treaty and a Tribunal has been set up to officiate.
Our start in New Zealand was a good one. The airport in Auckland is set in a lovely watery location and there are some nice shops awaiting. Then when you get through customs there is a stand offering free coffee and tea (Denise was overjoyed!). Funny how first impressions count.

We headed straight for the campervan rental office in the airport with a view to hiring a van for a week or so. Unfortunately all the vans were already hired out "but there is one", the attendant said "but we don´t normally hire it out!" This appealed to Denise´s maternal instincts so we said we would take it! We couldn't pick it up until the next day so we booked ourselves in to a Best Western Hotel nearby. Just before the sun set I (Gerry) went for a swim in the little outdoor swimming pool, but it was beginning to get cold and some rather excitable kids had just bellyflopped in beside me so I decided that rather then murdering them and having the problem of disposing of their bodies when their were 40 chalets with large patio windows facing the pool, I would quietly retire for the night.
They don't make em like they used to!They don't make em like they used to!They don't make em like they used to!

None of the hire companies had any campervans left, except this one. They said "we don't usually hire it out but you can have it if you want it", this definetly appealed to Denise's maternal instincts and Gerry's frugal bias (it was cheap!).

In the morning down at the hire company offices we were sheepishly shown the poor beastie, which turned out to be small, very small, but it had a certain endearing quality. The next 10 days we drove round the North Island of New Zealand. We started in Rotorua, a geothermal-shooting geysers-mudbath wonderland!






Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Geysers at RotoruaGeysers at Rotorua
Geysers at Rotorua

This place is full of geysers, boiling mudpools and geothermal activity. Our campsite had natural hot mineral spa pools!
Steam from Pohutu Geyser merges with the clouds.Steam from Pohutu Geyser merges with the clouds.
Steam from Pohutu Geyser merges with the clouds.

Pohutu Geyser erupts up to 30m (98ft)
Lake Waikaremoana, North IslandLake Waikaremoana, North Island
Lake Waikaremoana, North Island

We stayed at this beautiful campsite by the lake. That was after a horrendous (but scenic) drive over the mountains on a rough gravel road from Rotorua to Napier. Last thing the hire company said was "Don't go on any unsealed roads...."
A Black Swan on Lake WaikaremoanaA Black Swan on Lake Waikaremoana
A Black Swan on Lake Waikaremoana

Black swans seem to be quite common in New Zealand
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Somewhere between Lake Waikaremoana and Napier.
Mystical forestMystical forest
Mystical forest

To get to the waterfall we had to walk through an eery wood. The white background is a limestone cliff which looked like mist, when the kids in swimsuits came round the corner I nearly jumped out of my skin!
Lake WaikaremoanaLake Waikaremoana
Lake Waikaremoana

Looking like a painting
National Tobacco Company Building, Napier, North IslandNational Tobacco Company Building, Napier, North Island
National Tobacco Company Building, Napier, North Island

We visited Napier, the Art Deco City during their Art Deco Annual Weekend. This is a great place full of Art Deco buildings after it was rebuilt following an earthquake in 1931.
Skytower, AucklandSkytower, Auckland
Skytower, Auckland

The tallest tower in the Southern Hemisphere at 328m.
Wedding at Albert Park, AucklandWedding at Albert Park, Auckland
Wedding at Albert Park, Auckland

Near the Old Merchants Houses. Ably assisted by my helper, Denise!
NapierNapier
Napier

During the Art Deco weekend


26th July 2010
The Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi

cool

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb