Hot Water Beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whitianga
April 7th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bex in the darknessBex in the darknessBex in the darkness

Check out the sexy hot pants!
A very early start, having got up at 4am, to be on the beach at 4.30, when the tide was out. The name of the beach is literally what it is. In a certain area, you can feel hot patches of sand under your feet. If you dig a hole in these areas they fill with boiling hot water which comes from volcanic reservoirs beneath the sand. It was incredible to be lying in a hot bath, whilst the air around was so cold and the sun had not yet risen. As you can tell from the pictures, we waited for the sun to rise, which was breath taking!

A long drive to our next destination, Lake Taupo, was broken up by Dom spotting a sign: “Zorbing - 300m on left”. This was something we’d always planned on doing but didn’t realise it was on our way. Zorbing is basically putting yourself in the place of a Hamster. You jump into a giant rubber ball filled with air and water and roll down a huge hill! (see the video!)

That night we arrived at Lake Taupo and went for an idyllic walk to the Huka falls. Words can’t describe the scenery - Lake Taupo was definitely the most beautiful place so far.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



16th April 2007

Beautiful photos. Not so keen on the zorb!!xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb