Published: April 16th 2012April 16th 2012
Kapiti Coast Travel Information http://www.nzonline.org.nz/nzo/destinations/kapiti-coast
The Kapiti Coast is located just 40 minutes north of Wellington on the West Coast of the North Island, opposite the world renowned bird sanctuary Kapiti Island. This stunning coastline is a popular holiday destination, and vistors are attracted to the many beaches, and scenic backdrop of lakes, rivers and native NZ bush. The Kapiti Coast is an easy day trip from Wellington, making it the perfect tourist destination for those travelling North, nature lovers, beach goers and surfers.
The Kapiti Coast region offers a variety of accommodation options, from affordable holiday parks
, bed & breakfast
(B&B), self contained motel units and apartments
, and holiday homes
(baches). Because of the regions picturesue surroundings of New Zealand forest and beaches, most Kapiti accommodation provides visitors with a unique and breathtaking setting.
About Kapiti Island
Kapiti Island is around 5km off the west coast of the southern North Island, just one hours drive north of Wellington. It is 10km long and around 2km wide and it covers 1,965 hectares.
The Island is a nature reserve – an area set aside for the protection of native plants and native birds, and where human influence is monitored and kept to a bare minimum. For some, witnessing this kind of environment can be an experience that can affect the way they see themselves in the world. As a nature reserve it remains the most protected of public lands, and today the sheer abundance and diversity of birdlife gives testimony to the decades of careful management, good planning and much hard work. CLICK HERE
for Kapiti Island Nature Tours
• Visitors come from all over the world to visit Kapiti Island.
• From every beach, this magnificent geological, historical and cultural icon dominates the view.
• Half day and full day trips, and overnight stays, can be organised through Kapiti Island Nature Tours.
• Otaki-Maori Racing Club, New Zealand's only Maori racing club
• Raumati Beach Shopping Village
• Kapiti Coast Fishing & Surfing
• New Zealand artist Shona Moller studio & gallery on Paraparaumu Beach
• Wellington Tramway Museum in Queen Elizabeth Park
• One of the Southern Hemisphere's largest car collections is at the Southward Car Museum in Otaihanga, and a popular ridable miniature railway operates in Raumati Marine Gardens.
find out more http://www.nzonline.org.nz/nzo/destinations/kapiti-coast