New Zealand - North Island Pt. 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Waitomo around lunch time and then in the afternoon went black water rafting, apparently one of the only places in the world where you can do it. It's called rafting but there isn't much rafting involved. First we absailed into the caves, about 40m down or around a 10 storey building, which is a fair long way, they neglected to tell us how far down it was before we did it! You go down in the pitch black aswell, with only your head lamp on. After a bit of caving we got to what's known as the flying fox, basically it's a zip line through the cave which again you do in pitch black, all you can see is the glow worms lighting up the roof of the cave. It was really cool, a lot of screams from the girls but i was naturally totally cool about it. Then we jumped into the freezing cold water (despite the fact we have full body wetsuits) and drifted down the river on these rubber ring things glazing up at the glow worms. After that we did a bit of caving throgh some small holes and along the river, before climbing a couple of waterfalls to get out of the caves. It was a great afternoon and definitely an experience!

Next it was on to Taupo (next to a massive lake in a an old volcano) for two nights, went out in Taupo on the first night, but apart from that didn't do much. You can do skydiving and stuff from there, but funds are running low and there's no way you can afford to do all the activities. Next onto River Valley for the night where some people did white water rafting, stayed in a nice lodge complete with log fire, we all slept in the same room, altho it was freezing there. From there it was on to Wellington, where I am now, here for two nights before getting the ferry to the south island tomorrow. Most of us stayed here for two nights which means we will be on a new bus tomorrow with some new people and a new driver. Looking forward to getting to the south island, it's supposed to be much better than the north, but it's going to be even colder!

Advertisement



26th June 2009

Just hope Mum hasn't read this!!
She'll be having a fit if she has Neil! sounds like you are having a great time. Those glow worms are really spooky aren't they. I first saw them when I went to Brazil and they landed on my mossi net over my hammock. The are amazing. Pity I didn't know you were going to Taupo as I have a friend there, Lynn Smith (used to own the Craven Heifer in Skipton) and she has a hotel next to lake Taupo - you could have called in to say "hi" - she must be missing the Yorkshire accent by now!! Anyway, you have a great time, stay safe and I'm really looking forward to seeing you at THE WEDDIG(!) and hearing all about your travels. Love Karen xx

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb