The Land of the Long White Cloud


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 22nd 2001
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

White water rafting, Rangitikei riverWhite water rafting, Rangitikei riverWhite water rafting, Rangitikei river

We're taking on the terrifying grade five rapids, however it's not an experience I care to repeat!
I crossed the Tasman Sea on a three hour flight to reach destination Auckland, the largest city of our closest neighbour and great mates from New Zealand. The country of four million people is blessed with sublime natural scenery, friendly people, superb tourist infrastructure and world class beer. Oh, and it's also the adventure capital of the world! If you have a taste for adventure and wanna do something wild and crazy ... sweet as a nut bro, just come to NZ and the Kiwis will take care of you. I was out of the airport like a shot, and had a few days to explore Auckland before joining a pre booked bus trip with Kiwi Experience. I chose the option of a three week jump on, jump off tour of the North and South Island to make the most of my trip to New Zealand.

The bus headed south from Auckland, dear reader, in a rollicking group of travellers from around the globe, hmm ... looks like this is gonna be fun! Our Kiwi X driver got on the mike early to welcome us, but also offered some friendly advice by explaining that although extra activities would be offered every day we didn't need to sign up, as it could really burn a hole in your pocket. But in hindsight NZ adventures are so much fun, even when you have a pocket full of holes! The first stop on our tour was Rotorua, a town situated in the centre of an active thermal area and famous for it's constant rising steam and pools of bubbling mud only minutes from the centre of town. The whole experience is accompanied by the strong smell of sulphur everywhere you go. Rotorua is great fun to explore, and a highly unusual tourist destination on the NZ circuit.

The bus team booked in for a traditional Maori hangi feast on our first evening in Rotorua, and had a great time of it. We drove to the Marae (meeting place) before the feast, and were challenged by a fearsome Maori warrior who launched into a terrifying haka. With eyes rolling and tongue lolling the warrior sang out his challenge to test our bravery, and we stayed stock still until the haka concluded. We must've done OK, thank goodness, as he then touched noses with our tour guide in the traditional Maori greeting. We entered a hall and joined other tour groups for a Maori performance of singing and dancing, featuring beautiful voices in a moving and poignant performance. Then the guests went to a large hall for the feast prepared on fires buried in the ground. The Maori host welcomed the crowd over the microphone and we were asked to hold hands with the person next to us, as I happened to be standing beside a pretty stranger from Iceland all was good in the world!

He then asked if there were any Australians in the crowd. I thought it was sweet he'd single Aussies out for a personal greeting and foolishly put up my hand. That was a bad move as he looked at me hungrily; similar to a lion who's cornered his prey, and then asked the entire audience "What's the definition of an Aussie haka?" to which he replied "when it's their shout at the bar!" as he vigorously patted down all his pockets amidst uproarious laughter. I swear I shrunk to about two feet tall with embarrassment but I really walked into that one.

The next stop on the bus was Lake Taupo, the biggest freshwater lake in
More rafting actionMore rafting actionMore rafting action

I'll have one vertical drop to go, thanks skipper!
New Zealand and blessed with pristine natural scenery. It includes the nearby Tongariro Crossing, which is the most famous one day walk in the country. While at the lake I signed up for outdoor paintball with a few of the bus crew, and the teams were kitted up and separated before the mayhem began. Paint ball is adrenaline pumping good fun, as we tried to creep up on the other team's base to take their flag and thereby secure victory. We blasted away like commandoes when engaged, but sometimes found we were isolated when trying to advance to forward positions. Let me assure you it's no fun being in an ambush, cause even through your clothes paint pellets smart like crazy. When all was lost you have no option but to raise hands in surrender. From the lake the bus headed down to the River Valley Lodge on the Rangitikei river for an overnight stay, as we prepared for white water rafting the next day on the grade five rapids.

I signed up to take on the fearsome rapids, but it's an experience I have no wish to repeat. Our raft captain pointed out a spot where a colleague
Close up rafting chaosClose up rafting chaosClose up rafting chaos

I was so freaked out I'm holding my paddle the wrong way. Hello sailor!
lost his life after being forced under the rocks and drowned, and at one stage one of our team in the raft ahead had to be physically dragged back into the raft when he was all but lost overboard. During our rafting trip we experienced vertical drops, the fierce power of the rapids buffeting us down the river, and many more hair raising moments before finally arriving at more tranquil river flows. Grade five rapids on a raft proved to be too much for me, but I'm happy to have come along for the one off experience.

The final North Island stop for the Kiwi X bus team was windy Wellington, which is the capital of New Zealand. We had free time to explore the city, taking in the sights including the unusual Beehive parliament building. Wellington is a city with an open, friendly feel and the entire kiwi x team were thoroughly enjoying Aotearoa. This was the name given to NZ by the early Polynesian settlers, which translates as the land of the long white cloud. The bus crew is starting to bond like a travel family, with so much to see and do in this magnificent country. It's exciting to consider all there is to offer on the South Island, as we're mightily impressed with what we've seen and done already. As a matter of fact it's got me to thinking, basically all of you should be here now!


A sense of humour is the ability to understand a joke - and that the joke is oneself." Clifton Paul Fadiman


As I continue my travels, until next time it's signing off for now

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



18th February 2007

white water rafting
I once tried in Colorado, US. it was awesome. but seems this one is more exciting. Hoping one day I can go.

Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 39; qc: 149; dbt: 0.1869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb