New Zealand North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
September 10th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

North Island

Wellington

5th September

Today is a special day, its mine and ste’s 7 year anniversary!! Unfortunately its not the most exciting day because we will spend most of it travelling to the north island I think a non-budget nice meal and glass of wine would mark the event nicely. Again today was started nice and early, 7.00am and we were awake and getting ready to hit the road, we had a 1 and half hour drive ahead of us to get to Picton and that’s were the Ferry (Interlander) leaves. So that’s the plan, but the days events didnt go according to our plan, it had its own little agenda. It started when we tried to check out of the hostel at 7.15am, but the reception doesn’t open until 7.45am. Usually the key deposit is $10 or $20, but this time it was stes driving licence so we had to get it back. We rang the night porter but he couldn’t (more like wouldn’t) get into the reception. We hung around until 7.50am got the driving licence and got out of that horrible hostel. We were running late and had to check the car into the ferry at 9.00am for the 10.00am trip. So we were flying down the road (I fell asleep, im sure ste was driving at a sensible speed) and after an hour the car broke down. We managed to get the car to a petrol station and ste asked could we use there phone (because our phone is aussie it wont ring free phone numbers). We rang the ferry and cancelled it because we weren’t gona make the 10.00am boat trip. Then we rang AA, we got the usual attitude, its like your ringing an unfriendly neighbour and asking for a major favour! So while we were waiting for AA to come out we went to buy a coffee and roll in the shop but the women told us to put the stuff back and go next door and sit down and relax, tell them she sent us in. The women was lovely, it was a coffee shop but like walking into someone house. She told us to sit on the couch and relax and wait as long as we needed to, the women in the garage was gona ring her when AA arrived. So we had a coffee and sandwich and good chat, then her husband came in and sat at the table and had a coffee and chatted away to us. They were really so so nice, I actually would of sat there all day. An hour later AA arrived and confirmed the clutch was broke, he then had to try organise another rental car for us. An hour and a half after he left, (a bag of chips and can of coke later) finally another rental car arrived for us. So after been waiting for 3 hours we finally got on our way again. This time we were extra early for the 2.30pm ferry!! So we walked around the town, had another cake in cake shop (I know it was ridiculous how much we ate today and al out of boredom ).

Finally at 1.30pm we checked the car in. The ferry left at 2.30pm and it was a very comfortable 3hour journey. Wellington welcomed us with 140k winds and rain, fallen down tree’s and flooding, lovely! There was high rise buildings and it looked like a real city, already completely different to the south island and I wanted to go back! We stayed in YHA, it was a lovely hostel, very big and clean (YHA hostels havn’t let us down yet). We looked up our bible (the lonely planet) and choose there favour pick which was a restaurant called “sweet mothers kitchen”. After putting on a bit of make up and make an effort for our 7 year anniversary date, we ran to the restaurant and had a gorgeous meal!! It was delicious!! We then had a drink in a pub were I got asked for id (do I really look 17?!), there was only 4other people in the bar I just laughed and told her no I don’t have any, which was fine they would of been stupid to refuse the business. Anyway that was our lovely day, i’m curious to see what the north island is like?!? Night night, love Audrey xxx


Lake Taupo

6th September

Ste got up to get the car this morning to move it and guess what the tow truck got there before us!! They towed our car away because you couldn’t park there after 7am!! $112 less in our pockets we were on the road heading to lake Taupo (the largest lake in New Zealand). Took us 6 hours to get here including a 30minute stop in mickey D’s to refuel. It never stopped raining the entire day! So far i’m not a big fan of the north island, the rain probably does influence my opinion but the scenery is nothing compared to the south island. But I’m not complaining, fingers crossed the rain takes a break and lets me have a proper look around. We’re staying in YHA again, we actually had no were booked today (I blame Jackie and Aidan’s laid back attitude, ha. We still havnt managed to get rid of those two, ha! I dont think I formally introduced them? Well we first met Jackie and Aidan in Christchurch when we were both renting car’s and then we went our separate ways. Who new a few days later we would re-unite and discover we were a match made in heaven -I hope you’s are reading this! We really did have some laughs, actually dont think ive laughed so much in a long time! We travelled together for the remainder of the new Zealand trip. Aidan is from Kerry and Jackie is ever so posh, she’s from portmarnock, haha!!). Anyway we just said we’ll drive to YHA and it worked, although it may not work in peak season! The room is 4 bedded dorm, $23 per night, its really nice and clean and cosy! We’ll settle here for two nights and relax! Luckily no one else checked into our dorm today so we had the room to ourselves, its always a bonus when that happens. Me, ste, Jackie and Aidan had dinner in Mulligans Irish Bar they had a good meal deal on.

7th September

We stared to slow down a bit, the south island is constantly go go go, there’s so much to do we were up early everyday trying to squeeze it in. The north island is a little bit more relaxed and not aimed at tourists, there’s alot more people living here (lots of Maori) an the towns are bigger and more practical. So after a nice lie in we went down to the lake were ste had spotted “lake Taupo whole in one”. Its basically an island in the lake with 3 flags and holes on it. You have to hit the ball from land and you get a prize if you put the ball in one of the holes, sounds easy! Ste was so excited about this, and when we heard the prize for the red flag was $10,000 he was even more excited and I must admit so was I! He insisted on doing it yesterday in the lashing rain, you might of guessed he didnt win. So today it was dry and no wind and he got very very close but we’re not $10,000 richer! But ste did beat the record for there longest drive competition. The funniest thing about this was there was two guys snorkelling and swimming around the lake, they were collecting the balls, ha what a job!!

After this me, ste, Jackie and Aidan went in search of the Huka Falls (this is where New Zealand’s longest river, the Waikato, moves into a narrow chasm, making a dramatic 10m drop into a surging pool). We thought we found the place and so we parked up the car and start walking, and kept walking, and some more, all while I read the lonely planet’s piece on the Huka Falls. After an hour walk up and down hills and along lakes and over trees (ok it was just one tree, but it was a monster size one), we finally found the Huka Falls, and a car park right beside it!!! The falls was nice, I expected something bigger, but I think I just had Niagara falls in my head, which was silly because nothing is gona exceed Niagara falls. But yes the Huka Falls, was powerful and one of mother natures beautiful creations. We then walked back an hour to the car, just in time to miss the rain! While we were walking we passed a small area of water and it was so hot it had stream coming out of it, amazing, it was a natural hot spring.

To finish of the day we dragged ste and Aidan away from the ping pong table (there both as competitive as each other) and went to a table quiz in Mulligans irish bar. This is where we met Justin, he was a local resident and stone mad!! He was maybe in his late 60’s and about my height, he also turned out to be a fountain of general knowledge and helped us get 3rd place in the quiz (only 3 marks from first prize)!! Justin was a great character and so so funny! After the quiz, a few pub games, a couple of pints and a complement from a gay guy (you loved it Aidan), we headed back to the hostel were Ste did his very best to get into bed without wakening the others in the dorm. Ever try to find your bed in a 4 bedded dorm in the pitch dark and drunk?! Turns out its not that easy. That’s all for now, night night, audrey xxx


Rotorua

8th September

This morning the boys went out and played a bit of golf, ste was delighted at the thoughts of it! Me and Jackie had some breakfast and a stroll around the town. I picked up a new book (Jodi Picoult, “house rules”, its brilliant!! I loved her other books “the pact” and “nineteen minutes”). It only took us 45minutes drive before we arrived in Rotorua. I’ve heard there is a bad smell in Rotorua (kind of like the smell when your crossing the bridge in lexlip village), but that didn’t even prepare me for the foul, sickening smell that hits you right at the back of your throat, its just like you put your head in a fridge of full rotten eggs, oh it was overpowering and it was all over Rotorua. I don’t know how anyone can live in that! It does come and go, or else your nose just gets used to the smell but then suddenly gives up trying to ignore it because its so bad. But apart from the smell, Rotorua was nice. We stayed in “Funky Green Voyager”, it was the favour pick in the lonely planet and I can see why! Across the road from the hostel was a big house they also owned, it had a lovely sitting room and kitchen, it was basically like we rented out a house, it was a pleasant change from the typical hostels. Me and ste were in an 8 bedded dorm, but he dorm was huge and apart from 2people who slept in the dorm on the first night, we were on our own for the rest of the time. Me and my new zealand family (Ste, Jackie, and Aidan) had a gorgeous dinner at the table and a delicious caramel chocolate cake to wash it all down. We then had a game of scrabble were I came second. The important thing is that I bet ste, it is one of very few things that I can actually beat him in. And can I just say I got the highest word score of 54 points, but I was raging I was one letter away from getting a 75 points word, uh it was so frustrating, I would of cleaned up, anyway i’m over it, its just scrabble I hear you shout, ill move on! Audrey xxx

9th September

So yesterday we did a bit of research, had a look around and picked out the activities we wanted to do. There are lots of really different activities to do here, agroventures was the best place to go, they had an agrojet, bungy jump, swoop, xtreme freefall, shweep, zorbing, a sheep shearing show and a farm with the strangest animals. I saw the animals that look like cows but have long brown shaggy hair. Remember I saw them in the first week, ste tried to convince me they were cows but there not, they are yak’s! I knew I wasn’t imagining things! They have the biggest head and horns I have even seen, I took pictures!

When we woke up it was lashing raining, but we tried to persist with our plan and do all the activities that we had planned. Our first stop was at a place called the skyline, we got a gondola (like a cable car) to the top of mount Ngongotaha (487 meters above sea level), where you can see 180 degree panoramic views of Rotorua, well all we saw was alot of fog and rain and nothing else! While up on the mountain we did the luge. This is a ride on a 3wheel cart, its really close to the ground and you pull back the handle bar’s to stop, then let them forward to go faster, the more you release the handle bars the quicker you fly down the hill!!! We did this in the lashing rain so the track had a river flowing down it and I couldn’t see were I was going cause there was so much rain in my face, there were steep hills and sharp bends that make you really fast. I didn’t stop laughing for about 20minutes, it was so ridiculous what we were doing!! After you get a seat (like the ski lifts) and it takes you back up to the top of the mountain where you do it all again!! Ste and Aidan were racing, were me and Jackie were going slow if we couldn’t see each other we’d pull over until the other caught up, ha so ridiculous, be very very funny! I had 3 turns on the luge, but on my second turn I gave up, the last straw is when my knickers and socks were soaking wet!!! Jackie and Aidan did the sky swing, its similar to a bungee swing but your strapped into a seat, it reach’s 150kph in 3seconds. I don’t know how but they did it!!! After this we looked like 4 drowned rats, so we had to go home and get showered and into dry clothes.

Soon later me and ste were collected by the bus to go to the Tamaki Maori Village, this was a 3hour trip to the Maori village. We learned how the Maori people live and the welcoming ceremony when a new tribe enters the village, we had a walk around the village and then enjoyed a show of different Maori stories and songs and of course the crazy haka! After this we had a huge dinner which was cooked in the hangi, this is a whole is the ground, the traditional Maori way of cooking, covering the food with leaves and rocks. The dinner was gorgeous, just what I needed juicy vegetables, chicken, potatoes and gravy, it was delicious, and most importantly they had a HUGE pavalova and fruit salad for desert, all washed down with a kiwi cocktail (how could I refused it, New Zealand is home of the kiwi!!). The night was really good! Our bus broke down on the way there (I think we’re a jinx), but we were only 20minutes delayed. At the end of the night Ste and a few others lads got up and they did the haka, haha!! Hilarious, but your not allowed laugh which makes it even funnier!! Had a great day, even if it did lash rain! Night night, Audrey xxx


Waitomo

10th September

We checked out of the hostel and guess what the sun was shinning!! Before we went anywere I had to go to the pharmacy, but she sent me to the doctor. $150 later, I have a kidney infection and a handful of antibiotics, not something you need when your leaving a country and starting to count the pennys! Anyway nothing I can do, better I get it sorted because it was quite painful. Nothing better to distract me from the pain than a few extreme sports, we headed to agroventures! There was so many activities to choose from, but all so expensive so we end up doing 2 activities each. Me and Jackie did the extreme freefall, this is were you get blown meters into the air by a giant column of air underneath you. There are nets around you so you cant blow away, it was the most fun i’ve ever had!!! I just cant stop talkin about it even now, it was brilliant and apparently its very similar to a skydive, which really makes me want to do a skydive because I enjoyed it so much. Ste took a video of it and some scary pictures of my face looking very deformed, ha it was brilliant!! Next we all did the argojet, this is a 13ft sprint boat powered by a 6.2 litre 450 horse power Chevrolet engine pumping through 11,000 litres of water per minute. Basically what all that means is the boat reached 100kmp in 4.5 seconds and turned corners at ridiculous angles, it was absolutely brilliant! There’s a professional driver who straps you in and takes you for a ride, it really was great, I just kept screaming and laughing, and holding onto Jackie!! Ste and Aidan also did the Shweeb, this is like a bike hanging from a monorail and buckled into a see through cylinder. You lie in the cylinder and need to pedal just like a bike, working through seven gears over a 600 m race. The pod (thats you on the bike in the cylinder) can reach up to 45kph and 60 degree swings on the bends. Ste and Aidan raced against each other on opposite tracks, it was brilliant they go so fast and fly around the monorail. Ste won by 3 seconds, he was the 5th fastest out of 125 people who have done it from Ireland, impressive!! After all that adrenaline rushing we had to leave and head to Waitomo. It took us 3hours (including a gorgeous lunch stop) to get to waitomo. We’re staying in YHA and it is gorgeous, probably one of the nicest hostels ive ever seen!! Pity its in the middle of no where! The nearest shop is 20km away. We just came here for one night because in the morning we’re going tubing in the glow worm caves!! Had a great day and im feeling ok, a little bit sore but nothing antibiotics and neurofin cant fix! Night night, Audrey xxx



Waitomo / Auckland

11th September 2010

Today we were booked in to do a tour in the glowworm caves but instead of walking we went in a tube (like a big rubber ring). Sounds tame and relaxing doesn’t it, well it wasn’t, it was great fun though. Its actually called black water rafting cause its in the pitch dark (I forgot to mention on my form that i’m terrified of the dark, on that note why is it comforting to close your eye’s when your already in the pitch dark?). Anyway we had the lights on our helmets to guide us. We had a good laugh putting the sexy wet suits on and jackets, and don’t forget the cold moist socks, manky brown jumpers that go under the wet suit to keep you warm and lovely little booties. As you can imagine we looked super sexy! Our group was nice and small, with two guides there was me, Jackie, ste and Aidan and just one other girl. We got a safety briefing and then the guides showed us a pier about 6meters above the river, we had to jump of the pier backwards and land in our tube in the river. We will have to do this in the cave, over waterfalls and in the dark, so it was best that we all practiced here first (more like the guides were preparing themselves for what they’ll have to put up with while in the cave). So naturally I panicked as swimming and especially jumping into water is not one of my strong points! After some convincing and a few bad words I finally jumped of the pier and into FREEZING water!!!! We were all set to go then.

Our walk up the hill quickly warmed us up, inside and out, I was breathless! Then we came across a stream of water, a couple of rocks, and a blackness and that’s what we climbed into, we went further down until we couldn’t see anything, its around this point that I wasn’t so sure if I would enjoy it. But it did get better, the guides were brilliant and a good laugh, they made me feel really relaxed, even if they did tell a few white lies. We went through a part of the cave, the roof was so low we had to lie right back while sitting in our tubes and push ourselves with our hands along the roof, it was so low our helmets were dragging along the roof. I asked the girl, how long do we have to stay in that position (they called it the limbo), she said 2seconds, I counted and it definitely wasn’t two seconds, but it all added the I-cant-believe-I-just-did-that factor. I felt like the hero in the movie when he (she in this case) goes to save the damsel in distress who is about to drowned and only has a few inch’s of breathing space. So moving on the cave was brilliant, after jumping backwards over waterfalls (joanne im really not exaggerating!!), and holding on for dear life while we flew through rapids, finally we came to some relaxing water. We all switched our lights of and all around us was lit up by glowworms, it was like millions of stars, really gorgeous. The glowworm is actually a maget and when it poo’s, its faeces is aluminous, not so pretty now! The trip was really great, we got a few pictures that the guides were taking. Im so glad I did it and I was even happier that I didnt know what I signing up for, when your 180feet below the ground its a bit harder to back out. After the trip, we had warm showers and free soup and bagels, it was just the job to heat us up!

Next trip was 3 hours North to Auckland, that’s of course if you don’t drive an hour in the wrong direction, I don’t know where my sat nav went to that day, I suppose everyone has there off days, it was ste that was driving the horrible windy roads, so you can imagine I didn’t have to say anything!! But we made it to Auckland, weather was a bit miserable, raining and windy, im not fond of these big cities after getting a taste of the south island. Jackie and Aidan booked the accommodation which was probably fine, but the street and the heads hanging around was enough to get us back in the car and keep looking. Turned out to be quite difficult to get somewhere, but eventually we found a 4bedded dorm in YHA International. I know Jackie and Aidan wanted to spend every minute with us before they left and that’s why they bunked into our room, yey slumber party! This hostel was fine, we were in the city centre so you cant expect anything to luxurious, YHA is pretty reliable, they have spacious and clean rooms, it was $29 each per night. Me and ste stayed here for 3 nights, Jackie and Aidian were leaving for Fiji after 2nights. Out first night was a Saturday night and oh my god it felt like I was in gangsters paradise! We were one level off the floor, right next door to what must of been the best drug store in Auckland, every type of druggy was on that street, shouting at each other, blaring the music in the cars, the cars themselves were so loud. Jackie kept an eye on the activity, I was afraid to look out the window encase they’d shoot us, haha, all while ste snored his head of! I fell asleep at around 2am, they must of ran out of drugs or I ran out of steam cause I heard nothing else, except some guy knocked for ages on a door which freaked me out but it was fine. You normally get used to the busy life day and night in the hostels, but this was a whole new level!


12th September

Today is when the real fun happens!! After doing the freefall in Rotorua I had a whole new perception of what a skydive would feel like. Before it I actually didn’t think I would be capable of physically throwing myself out of a plane, its insane! But if I thought the result of doing that would be an amazing freefall like I experienced with the massive fan in Rotorua, I wanted it do it. I told ste what I was thinking (the pack was we would either both do a skydive or neither of us) and we convinced Jackie and Aidan to join us, so last night I booked it for 1pm today. I woke up with a headache, I wont lie there was a bit of nervous tension in the air in the room. It was kinda like when there’s a big pink elephant in the room but nobody wants to mention it. The time came and we hit the road and drove to the airfield, I still wasn’t 100% sure if we would get to jump because it is weather permitting. I downed a bottle of rescue remedy and we sang every song possible, turning those nerves into excitement. When we arrived there was a hold on all flights, because of the earthquake in Christchurch there was very strict air traffic control. An hour passed, and then we got the green light, oh it was so exciting!!

The plane was a tiny little thing, with one seat for the pilot and floor space that just about fit 4people with a tight squeeze. Jackie and Aidan went first, when they came down me and ste went up in the plane. I was really excited, by now we had waited 3 hours so I really wanted to get up as quick as possible! To reach 12,500 feet it took us 20minutes in the plane, the views were amazing but it was the longest 20minutes of my life!! We were above the clouds and I thought this must be it, but that was the half way mark!!! There is no way to explain the feelings that follow. We got the 3minutes to go signal, the guy attached to me strapped me onto him and got ready. Next the door was lifted, haha it was so crazy!! I put my two feet outside the plane and behind the wheel, I was hanging of the side of the plane. This is what I most dread but after waiting so long, and its so surreal all I could do was laugh! 3....I looked at ste back in the plane...2.....Ste gave me the nod and smile.....1.... JUUUUUUUUMP!!!!!! We were swept away by the sky and did a few tumbles. Then the guy on my back touched me on my shoulder which ment I could move my arms (we had to cross them and hold onto our harness, im presuming to stop them getting caught or left behind). I opened my eyes I was freefalling on top of the clouds, I was just falling through the sky. My mouth was dry, my arms were flung behind me by the force, but the feeling was THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD!!!!! I laughed so hard, I managed a few thumbs up for the camera and I even won the bet. The bet was who could pull the best pose while freefalling, I actually was the only one to get a pose in and it was the superwomen pose!!! It really was the best experience of my whole life. It so surreal, and strangely comfortable (its not like going down a rollercoaster and your stomach goes into your mouth), all the organs stay were they are, my limbs were thrown around a bit but that was part of the fun. We did a few swirls and spun around and it was just amazing!! Before I knew it, he pulled the parachute and we jumped back up into the sky, the jerk is quite strong, but I was just in shock I couldn’t say anything apart from “oh my god”. The parachute part lasted abut 5minutes and was very relaxing, he loosened the straps a bit and we glided back to land. We got caught in a rain cloud that he spiralled us out of, the views were amazing, everything about it was just spectacular! Like a pro I bent my knee’s and we landed on two feet, like ive done it a hundred times. You know what I think skydiving is my thing, after a year of searching for my “thing” (or talent), I found it, suspended 12,500 feet in the sky. I just cant wait to do it again!! Ste also loved it, he is so calm it would drive you insane, but I saw the panic just as they opened the door of the plane, I wont repeat what he said but finally he got a fright!! Just as he was outside the plane he noticed the bottom of his jump suit was caught on the of the plane. I think he was right not to hesitate, that is not a position one would wish to prolong. So he decided it was best to say nothing, after all he wasn’t gona drag the plane down, the jumpsuit just ripped. He really loved it! We were both on a high after it, there’s not enough words to explain it. I just cant wait to do it again!!!

Tonight we had a couple of well deserved drinks and alot of dancing. We were all still hyper from the skydive and it was Jackie and Aidan’s last night in New Zealand, so we had the ultimate bonding session. Haha!! Aidan busted some dance moves and ste then thought him how it should be done. Its been all go in New Zealand, not much time for drinking, so It was a great night out!!


13th September

Well we woke up with enough time to say good bye to our good friends and fellow travel companions, well it was hard not to wake up with all the noise they were making, haha!! Only jokin, we will miss them! So when they left we went back to sleep for the day. Ha, no we didn’t, first we had to return the car we rented and then we walked an hour back to the hostel. Some wierd guy was following us for a while, it was so obvious, he even followed us into McDonalds, we ran out when he wasn’t looking!! So then I nursed my hangover in bed and slept, it was so good to relax!! We packed up our bags, got organised and said good bye to New Zealand!!

I am sad to leave new Zealand, I have had such an amazing time here. The people are so friendly, this is one thing I noticed from the time we touched down in the plane to when we took off, everyone is super nice and helpful. The south island I found was definitely prettier, lots of white mountain tops, green hills and turquoise lakes. It was cold but dry and refreshing. In Queenstown they have furgburgers which gives them an extra 10 points! We had a little longer time here so we did spend more time driving, but it was a pleasure. The highlights were definitely skiing, glacier climbing, the hot pools, kayaking and seen seals and dolphins, shooting 4 different types of guns and I suppose you can’t put an earthquake in the “highlights” category but it was definitely a new experience. I also enjoyed the north island, it had lots of different things to offer, that wernt available in the south island, its a very different experience. Its suppose to be warmer here than the south island but luck wasn’t on our side, the weather was alot wetter and windier, but on the last few days when it was dry it was t-shirt weather and that’s coming from me, not ste who just wore a t-shirt and shorts regardless of the weather, I think his hairy legs kept him warm! The north island has bigger towns and more people. Lots of maori people which was new and interesting, they had a different language, different appearance, and different culture. We didn’t travel as much as we did on the south island, there was definitely more we could of seen like bay of plenty, cape reiga, 90 mile beach, we just didn’t have enough time. While here the highlights were definitely the skydive, but also the black water rafting in glowworm caves, the freefall (with the fan, not the real thing), the jetboat ride, the schweeb (for ste) and the maori culture show. As you can probably tell there wasn’t much time for drinking, I think thats why we all enjoyed the last night so much!

I just cant believe we have seen Thailand, travelled and lived in Australia and done New Zealand, the time is just going to quick, i’m afraid ill forget something and thats why i’m writing EVERYTHING down! Well next stop is Hawaii, looking forward to seen what that is like! Bye bye to Australia and New Zealand, i’m sure ill be back some time!


14th September

Its a travel day all day today. We got the bus to the airport ($14 special backpackers rate, about 35minutes) and had a nice 3 hour flight to Nadi in Fiji. Once we arrived in this airport we were greeted by 3 men in flowery shirts singing and playing the guitar. Its only a small airport, and I probably know every inch of it after spending 8 hours there. Thats how long we had to wait for our connecting flight. Im 6 hours into it now so not long to go. Its the strangest place, there is so many staff everywhere, just hanging around, sitting down, having a chat among themselves. At one stage I counted 20 staff sitting down in the seats, just relaxing. Then I ordered a pizza in the only food place and it took 40minutes, it seems a little relaxed but maybe to relaxed for my liking. Anyway its a pity we didnt get to see outside the airport, I have a lovely Fijian friend called Tina, so I would of liked to see were she has come from. She is so friendly so I think the staff in the airport might just be a bit board and hot, I don’t think all Fijians are like this. Its so hot, its so strange after coming from the cold. Anyway I have nothing else to report now, our flight to Hawaii is 9 hours. When we get there it will be 10am tomorrow morning but it goes back a day, so the 24 hours we spend travelling to Hawaii will just disappear cause it will go back to 10am on the 14th of September, the exact time and day we left New Zealand!!


Advertisement



10th September 2010

WHOW !!!!
Looks like You two are having a ball, I feel like im living this holiday with you, fair play Auds, I never realised you had it in you, You should write a book yourself, on the do's and dont's on a backpacking holiday on a budget....... damn the expense.... just enjoy yourself !! Keep writing!!
10th September 2010

HOLD ON A MINUTE
Hold on...wait a minute...stop the lights...I travel all the way across the world, me and olly, the only two who pack up and travel across the planet from Ireland to frankfurt to singapore to sydney and back (getting delaying in singapore for 19 hours and missing our connecting flight to dublin and spending an extra 24 hours in frankfurt) and we get one line about our visit in your blog....one line...ONE LINE and not even a picture...of all the fun we had, all the laughs, all the chocolate and crisps i had to declare in sydney border control, all the travelling we did up the gold coast, all the time we spent together and we get one line!!! Our feelings are hurt. We would like to withdraw all our previous comments.
10th September 2010

The lady monkey in koh samui got more coverage than us
11th September 2010

ooops!
Haha sorry im will improve that, I couldnt write any more cause I already sent my diary home so I couldnt remember the nice details of every day. Also you occupied so much of my time when was I suppose to write???? anyway ill get you in some more and with a picture!!!!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb