Glowworm Caves


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
January 26th 2005
Published: January 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Waitomo CavesWaitomo CavesWaitomo Caves

Where the Glowworms live
Drove down to Waitomo today, the main attraction being the glow worm caves. As far as we have read there is not that much more to do here than visit the caves so we decided just one night here would be fine.

Another scortching day and as soon as we arrived we dumped our stuff and headed for the caves which were a five minute walk from our hostel. The glow worm cave tour was $28 each, we thought it was a bit pricey but we were only here to do that so in we went.

Our tour guide was a funny guy, had a very posh accent and we couldn't work out if he was a New Zealander or a Brit. The caves were very interesting and the guide kept pointing to fallen stalegtights and reassuring us that they don't fall often.

The caves were amazing and so was the boat trip through the main area of glow worm cave. Andrew was not entirely convinced they were real glow worms but seemed to enjoy it all the same.

After the tour, guess what, we headed to the local pub. We only had a couple out in
StalagmitesStalagmitesStalagmites

that form the caves
the sun. They sold my favourite, rasberry Archers so I was pleased. We ate some more noodles for tea and sat outside till bedtime. Think we may get tired of noodles soon but they are so cheap, you can get a pack per person for 70 cents, they are just like super noodles.

It's a lovely hostel, big wooden lodge up in the trees and very clean, definately the best accomodation we have had yet and not very expensive either. Wish we could stay in this relaxed little place another night, but we still have a lot to see and do in New Zealand so onwards we head to Rotorua tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Inside the caveInside the cave
Inside the cave

at Waitomo
KiwipakaKiwipaka
Kiwipaka

Where we stayed in Waitomo
View from our hostelView from our hostel
View from our hostel

at the Kiwipaka, Waitomo
Andrew in the forestAndrew in the forest
Andrew in the forest

outside Waitomo


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb