Flying Foxes in River Valley


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wairarapa
August 7th 2006
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

First off before i begin i have to admit that despite the claim, we were not actually in Wairarapa, in fact i have never even heard of the place. Its just that River Valley the place we actually stopped is so small that it didnt warrant a mention on this site or seemingly on any map. To make matters worse the whole reason that we were going to the place (white water rafting) was cancelled due to excessive rain fall. To make up for it though we went on the flying fox (as pictured) which is basically a massive zip wire which runs about 1.2km through a canyon on which you reach speeds of about 160 kph (120mph). It was ok - in fact it sounds a heck of a lot more scary than it actually was. I think i would have been quite irritated if i had paid the full price (about 30 quid), so it was lucky they did it for us half price.

The hostel itself was pretty ridiculous as it was miles away from any kind of other dwelling, also the dorms were a little novel as the room was for 16 people and was basically 2 massive shelves where everyone slept - so you had people right in your face on both sides. So wasnt the sort of place you could retire early to bed, which was a shame as with my birthday the next day a bit of rest was called for. So had to persist and have a few drinks - which unfortunately resulted in 4 trips to the bathroom after i had gone to bed, of course the toilet was outside and yes it was raining. So an action packed night of trying to crawl to the end of my bed without disturbing anyone and then trying to sprint the 20 or so yards to the toilet without getting soaked. Happy days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb