Bubbling mud pools and smoking thermal spas in Taupo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The longer we spend in New Zealand, the more we are astounded by just what an incredible and varied country it is. From the snow capped mountains and beautiful mirror lakes of the the South Island and now to the volcanic terrain of the North. Truly amazing.
Staying right by Lake Taupo at the Great Lake holiday park, our first day was spent at the Huka Falls waterfall, where after marvelling at the waterfall, we then walked for an hour up to a natural thermal spa where we dipped our hands and feet in the warm bath water. We drove to L'Arte cafe for lunch, a lovely place with a small gallery of mosaic art in the gardens attached, before visiting the Honey Hive to sample the free local honey products and making ourselves feel thoroughly sick. The rest of the afternoon was spent at the 'Craters of the Moon' another thermal area with hot pools and geysers and bubbling mud pools. Totally bizarre to be in such an incredible environment. With the smell of sulphur still wafting in our noses, we headed off to the Orakei Korako thermal reserve the following day.
Again, more incredible views of steaming blow holes and bubbling mud pools, the volcanic activity was pretty spectacular to see. And so to Rotorua for more of the same!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 18; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb