Looking for that rush


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A field of SteamA field of SteamA field of Steam

This is the visible end result of water being heated by the earths outer crust, steam escapes through the ground
Whilst on the road between locations we stopped of at a few places to check out some of the Geo-Thermal activity, bubbling mud pools, geysers, steam rising from the ground that type of thing.

We had an extreme action packed day in Rotorua. First on the list was the Luge, we had done this already in Queenstown but their are three tracks here and it it is much longer and faster. There are a couple of photo's but just to explain what the Luge is, you get a cable car up the side of a mountain, you then put on a helmet get in a ski lift to the very top of the mountain sit in a little free wheeling car that is almost flat to the ground with handle bars like a bike which steer and brake, you then ignore the brake and race as fast as you can down a concrete track till you get to the bottom, go back up in the ski lift and do it all again. We did it five times, great fun.

Next we went for a little boat ride in the fastest boat in New Zealand, it is only 13 feet long seats three people and does 0-100 km/h in 4 seconds, for those of you who may find it difficult to judge speed let me assure you that is fast, to put it into perspective that is faster than a Ferrari 355 but you are in a little boat on the water racing around a relatively small track with very tight twists and turns, it's pretty cool.

Then we headed to NZ off road, we obviously hadn't been aloud to drive the boat ourselves we were just passengers but it had left us wanting to race something that we could control, so we headed for this place where we each did 12 time trial laps around an undulating track in a Sprinter Buggy, when one was driving the other was a passenger which can be even more of a rush than driving because you are not in control and it felt like it wouldn't be too difficult to flip that this and the instructors said that it has been rolled before.

Over all a fun packed adrenalin inducing day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Damn those camera shy SmurfsDamn those camera shy Smurfs
Damn those camera shy Smurfs

They always run away as soon as the camera comes out.
The LugeThe Luge
The Luge

I have obviously stopped to pose for this picture to show you what it looks like because otherwise I'd be hurtling down the hill too fast for a photo
Ok so it doesn't look muchOk so it doesn't look much
Ok so it doesn't look much

but looks aren't everything
12 laps each12 laps each
12 laps each

Great fun!
ZorbingZorbing
Zorbing

This is another way to pass the time here. Climb into a giant inflated ball filled with water and roll down a hill inside it


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb