Northland, the land of the Kauri


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Omapere
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lesley looking over to OmapereLesley looking over to OmapereLesley looking over to Omapere

Looking over Hokkianga harbour to the north shore of sand dunes.

From Kaihu Farm to Opononi and Mangonui



From Dargaville we struggled up the big hill (300m) to Kaihu Farm backpackers. The weather is not as we hoped with cloud and cool. We walked down to a stream after dark to view the glow worms. Impressive except the torch failed on us. My those forests are dark at night just like the stories. While there we managed to play our Johnny Cash record we bought after our viewing of Walk The Line. The German couple of youngsters asked us to play it again and they did and did through the evening.

On into the Kauri forest where we met up with the God of the Forest and the Lord of the Forest. Amazing trees of 2,000 years. This forest is all up and down. Happily, although the man at Kaihu said it was going to rain all day and we dressed appropriately, it had stopped by the time we reached the road and changed. It did not rain again on us all day, again. We seem to have missed nearly all downpours since last time we were in North Island.

We had a wonderful view of Omapere and Opononi
Michael with Darby and JoanMichael with Darby and JoanMichael with Darby and Joan

Michael with two kauri trees squeezing the road.
(photo attached) before we sped down the hill. We stayed in Opononi. This is the place where a dolphin in the summer of 1955/56 played regularly with the children and adults off the beach until killed by some fisherman. It was famous. And called Opo.

We crossed Hokkianga harbour by ferry from Rawene and stopped off at Broadwood in a farm based backpackers though we were the only ones there. Had a nice time with the couple running it, Rob and his wife, who were also keen on horses.

We cycled 96 km the next day. It was exhausting taking us to the north coast, through the (walkable) Herekino Gorge and on to Mangonui.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb