Jump out of a plane.....ok then!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast
October 5th 2006
Published: October 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So much fun!So much fun!So much fun!

Andy was a dude
Back to the north island……

The ferry took us back to Wellington and as before the city had heavy clouds hanging over it making it look grey and miserable….which it’s not! Wellington is a lively, cosmopolitan place with lots to see and do. Unfortunately we moved through a bit too fast, we gave ourselves only one day which was a stupidly short amount of time but we wanted to see a fair bit of the north island so we had to be quick. The one place we really wanted to go was Te Papa. It didn’t let us down, amazing museum which is stacked full of stuff. Spent loads of time here, we spoke to one couple who had spent a day here! We only went for three hours as the camper was parked in a space that was literally taking our trousers down….expensive city to park in. We bought some second hand books then set off for Hastings. This drive was gonna be a long one, about 4-5 hours so we couldn’t spend as long as we wanted in Wellington which was a shame….basically spend a few days here as it deserves more than what we gave it.
Dolphin at Marineland doin it's stuffDolphin at Marineland doin it's stuffDolphin at Marineland doin it's stuff

These dudes can jump well high!

The drive through the Hutt Valley was spectacular. The road climbs so steeply and our camper struggled but got us to the top! It was very scenic with rolling fog blowing through making it look all spooky….! We arrived at Hastings fairly late and there wasn’t anyone at the campsite office when we got there so we parked up and paid in the morning. We didn’t do anything in Hastings apart from sleep so can’t really comment on it…..looked nice! The next morning we took the short drive to Napier and found our campsite for the next few days.

Napier was lovely. Awesome art deco buildings, nearly every building in town was built in the 30’s and it looks stunning. Never seen such a collection of art deco architecture before, even Miami didn’t have as much. Our first whole day was great, the sun was out and I wore shorts and a t-shirt comfortably for the first time in months! It was only about 17 degrees but it was warm enough. We visited the aquarium and took in some of the architecture. The aquarium was pretty good, saw a kiwi and piranha’s and other creatures that swim. This was
Big sealion!Big sealion!Big sealion!

This chap was masive....he's smiling at the camera! At marineland
the only time in the whole of New Zealand when we saw a Kiwi…they are so rare and shy animals that in a zoo or wildlife park is your best bet of seeing one….although I did hear that on Stewart Island they are easy to spot. Anyway, we also had a couple of pints in a bar in town and some food. We had quite an early evening…which is the norm when your camping, always seem to go to bed really early, not sure why!

The followingday was warm again so we took in Marine land and also did some crazy golf. Marine land was good fun. Felt a bit sorry for the dolphin that did the show and the sea-lions and seals that perform but they take very good care of them. The shows were excellent and we got to hold a penguin as well! They are cute but they also wriggle about loads of stink heavily of fish and poo…..yummy. After that we did some crazy golf and Fran rinsed me, destroyed me she got several holes in one….must have cheated!
We also wanted to go out and experience the night life so we had a meal
A lunge from Fran!A lunge from Fran!A lunge from Fran!

Fran loves the lunge
at a steak house which was so nice then went back tot the Irish bar that we were in the previous night. It was dead, just us and a few old men in the pub and they weren’t exactly ‘party animals’…not unless you call a discussion on the days fishing trip outrageous. So we played some pool and got chatting to some local girls that came in. Turned out that all the clubs and bars were over the other side of town near the marina so we jumped in a taxi with them and they took us to some good bars and we stayed in a club til the early hours and even met some gang members which in retrospect was probably really stupid but was quite fun at the time and they did look a bit silly which was amusing! Yeah man, get me…do you get me bruv.

We said goodbye to Napier the following day and set off for Gisborne. Before we left we took lots of pictures of the buildings in Napier and we also made some more bracelets at the bead shop…..very manly.
Gisborne was a small place, full of local people doing local things.
On the lash in NapierOn the lash in NapierOn the lash in Napier

Fran with one of the girls we met....name escapes me..!
The gut who ran the campsite we stayed in was a Brit who had been over here for a few years and we had a chat for what seemed like ages, nice bloke. The weather was horrible while we were in Gisborne, raining hard all day and night. What didn’t help was in the morning going for a shower but neither of us having the car keys and locking ourselves out, comedy. The AA had to come out and help us get back in, embarrassing! We had a brief look around Gisborne’s town centre and then set off for the East Cape. Well, the East Cape was out of the question, the whole area was flooded and it wasn’t an option unfortunately. We saw a couple of statues of James Cook on the way out of Gisborne. Quite cool as it marks where he first set eyes on New Zealand many centuries ago. Well, not that long ago….1700’s!

Our next destination was Opotiki on the Bay of Plenty. Beautiful in the summer we imagined, not so nice with torrential rain and gale force winds that rocked our camper around all night! Quite a mission to get here in the
Me with some ladies!Me with some ladies!Me with some ladies!

Forgotten the names of these girls, they took us out and about the town of Napier, good fun!
first place with most of the East Cape being flooded. Had quite a bit of driving through high water to do and it probably wasn’t good for the car but we had to push on and get to our next port of call.
We stayed just the one night in Opotiki so didn’t really see much of it apart from the supermarket and the main street which were both great…well a supermarket is a supermarket…! Next stop was Taupo for some skydiving! On the way to Taupo we stopped at a geothermal place called Hells Gate, lovely welcoming name for an attraction! It was a great little place with a good walk you could do around loads of boiling hot pools and bubbling pools of mud, and grab a spa yourself which was very relaxing! Fran got a package which included a mud bath, spa and massage so she enjoyed herself! I was more concerned with trying not to be sick as the eggy fumes were disgusting….I wasn’t sick just got a bad headache!

Lake Taupo is gorgeous and the little town of Taupo which resides beside it is a lovely place. We arrived late on our first night
Awesome look for a DJAwesome look for a DJAwesome look for a DJ

Moby was on the decks.....!!
there but managed to find a cosy watering hole for a couple of drinks and some nervous banter before our skydive the next day. Woke up to rain the following day and the skydive was cancelled! Booked on again for the next day and crossed our fingers. Took the opportunity to do washing and go to the cinema. We also went to a pub and sank a few pints and played some pool which was free, met some dudes from Brisbane who were cool. The next day we woke to brilliant sunshine and we phoned to check but our skydive was on! It was weird because I wasn’t as nervous as I had been for the bungy jump, I think Fran was a little bit nervous but she hid it well! We waited around for what seemed like ages and then we were called to the hanger and got suited up and met our instructors, very real now. It happens so fast and before you know it your on the plane and getting ready to jump out. One guy on our plane jumped from 12,000 ft and the rest of us went from 15,000ft. There were only five of us on our plane as we all wanted videos done so there was only enough room for a few jumpers. Anyway, what a buzz. On such a high for ages afterwards, telling everyone about our experience! I can’t really describe the feeling when your floating in the air, very surreal! My instructor was awesome, he messed around a bit for the video, funny as. Anyway, got a t-shirt and the video and some still photos also so you can see how stupid I look with the hat that you have to wear on! The best thing I have ever done, nuff said! Had a pint afterwards to celebrate and also visited Huka Falls which was beautiful but intense (quite a random contrast but you get the idea!).

Well, there’s one more blog to go and New Zealand will be finished…at last! You know what I’m like though, I never do stuff until the last minute, but I was being so lazy it was annoying me. In Darwin at the moment with Libby and Darren and I think the Willis family relocated here as well….good ol’ neighbours. Anyway, it’s bloody hot here, every time I walk out of the hostel I think I’m gonna melt.

Take care everyone, hope your enjoying the blogs….if not then don’t read them, simple.

Peace and love to you all. Congrats to my cousin Simon for his engagement and to my cousin Emma who is expecting! Take care both of you.

Also, a big thank you to my Grandma for her generosity, thanks grum.

Thommo



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Cool fountainCool fountain
Cool fountain

In Napier
Me and Mr CookMe and Mr Cook
Me and Mr Cook

Taken in Gisborne
Hell's Gate thermal parkHell's Gate thermal park
Hell's Gate thermal park

Awesome hot pools and bubbling mud volcanoes at this place
Cool plane that we jumped out of!Cool plane that we jumped out of!
Cool plane that we jumped out of!

Sweet as plane, was painted like a tiger! Scary...
Like my hat?Like my hat?
Like my hat?

My instructor Andy had a mohican sticking thru his cap, quality!
Had  a minute of freefall!Had  a minute of freefall!
Had a minute of freefall!

Got loads of photos so when i get back i can show anyone who wants to see them,only put a few on this blog a they take so long to load on.


19th October 2006

Just great hearing about all your experiences. Thanks so much for congratulating emma. Babe due March 22. So excited. Not wanting to spoil your fun though just wondering
19th October 2006

cousin emma
Adam Think message got submitted by mistake before I completed it! Thanks for your congrats to emma. Timmy is so looking forward to being 'unc' tim. Its such an exciting time. (unc nick and I) see Luke each week here at T P. Cool. Lots of Love to you and Fran. Often think of you. Rozzie Tim Emma Steve Timmy X X X

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb