Greetings from the Art Deco Capital


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast » Napier
September 25th 2005
Published: September 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Daily TelegraphDaily TelegraphDaily Telegraph

Daily Telegraph Building in Napier.
Hello from Napier, NZ. We are currently visiting the east coast of the North Island for a day. Napier is considered the Art Deco capital of the world (rivalling Miami). The town was destroyed by an earthquake and completely rebuilt in the early 1930s, the heyday of art deco architecture.

Yesterday we visited Rotorua, kind of the Disney Land of New Zealand. The tourist draw is the geothermal/volcanic activity, that creates lots of geysers, sulphur vents and pools of hot boiling mud (downside: entire town smells like rotten eggs). Woo! We visited a spa and had mud baths, a sulphur bath and an hour long massage. The massage was worth the trip by itself!

Earlier in the day, while staying in the coastal town of Whakatane ("wh" is pronounced like "f", so it sounds like faka-tah-nay, or as Geri likes to call it, "Vodka Tonic.") we took a two hour cruise out to White Island, NZ's most active volcano. Once there, we hiked around the craters and vents for two hours, with a small group and a guide. We were outfitted with hard hats and gasmasks, which came in handy when the sulphur fumes were too much. On the
Wai Ora SpaWai Ora SpaWai Ora Spa

Geri in a mud bath at the Wai Ora Spa near Rotorua.
cruise back to the mainland, we ate lunch and watched for dolphins and whales. No sightings, but we've still got time.

The day before, we visited Mt. Manganui, where Brian climbed to the summit of the mountain to take in the spectacular views of the ocean and town below. (Geri, feeling a little queasy from too much Coffee in a Tube, only walked about a third of the way up, and waited comfortably with the sheep for Brian's return.)

Along the way we have met some of the friendliest people in the world. New Zealanders are eager to share their country and help visitors find their way around. Last night at dinner, a slightly buzzed Kiwi invited himself to our table and gave us a 20 minute travelogue on the wonders of the North Island. His dining companion offered to let us stay at her house (unfortunately we had just come from her town; otherwise we would have taken her up on the offer.)

As a result of these chance meetings, we've altered our route south, and have found some great places that weren't on our original itinerary.

Tonight we'll explore more of Napier, and then
White IslandWhite IslandWhite Island

Brian and Geri in NZ's most active volcano - White Island.
tomorrow head for Wellington via the largest wind farm in the Southern Hemisphere near Palmerston North. Brian is very excited about this, as those of you who know him well can imagine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mt ManganuiMt Manganui
Mt Manganui

Sheep on Mt Manganui.


29th September 2005

Oooh! Just like Iceland!
Many cities in Iceland are geothermically heated and the water smells heavily of sulphur. I am so jealous of your Art Deco adventures. America's Next Top Model is not the same without you!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb