Easter 2010 Holiday


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
April 4th 2010
Published: April 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I got out on my first proper vacation since breaking my leg this Easter weekend. In addition to breaking out of Auckland I got to break in a new car. After going without a car since 2004 I purchased a car this last week. The selection of the type of car was inspired by my travels with friends in New Zealand where a larger vehicle would have come in handy to cross river fords, pack dive and camping gear, all the while ensuring comfort on NZ's winding roads. I got myself a Honda CRV and it was fun to drive.

We got up early on Friday and drove to a friend's family batch in Coromandel, near Port Jackson. The batch was originally the quarry master's home from 1910 or so - the property (including quarry) had been in the family since it's original opening late in the 1800's.

We drove across the Coromandel to the other coast and enjoyed a late afternoon sit on a surfing beach.

We traveled back this morning, taking leisurely side roads and country lanes - enjoying the signs of autumn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Granit wharf build with stone from the quarryGranit wharf build with stone from the quarry
Granit wharf build with stone from the quarry

we stayed in the original master mason's house... built circia 1910
Rangitoto island way off in the distance.Rangitoto island way off in the distance.
Rangitoto island way off in the distance.

The volcanic island that i typically use as a reference point in auckland.
Ford on the road to port JacksonFord on the road to port Jackson
Ford on the road to port Jackson

Last time I was here with Marcos we had to turn back because we didn't have a vehicle that could handle the water... this time I did.
Thanks to Marcos for the inspirationThanks to Marcos for the inspiration
Thanks to Marcos for the inspiration

Hey marcos this photo is for you. I puchased a vehicle that can take up the challenges thrown at it by NZ roads.


4th April 2010

Congrats!
Glad that you are out and about again. You have chosen a good car for your "adventuremobile". We appreciate your photos, and story. NZ is a beautiful country and seems so peaceful. Enjoy! Jim and Melinda
4th April 2010

Nice pictures!
The car looks like it's working great - the pictures are lovely and a beautiful way to start Easter morning! Thanks for sharing your travels with us!
4th April 2010

Glad you are able to get out more .Take care of the legs.You only get two of them. Love grandma
5th April 2010

Hi
Happy Easter. We hope your leg is healing. Love ya.
5th April 2010

happy easter!
looks like you had a nice holiday!
5th April 2010

Donavin: I hadn't gotten your last few posts (my computer probably flagged them as spam). I was shocked to see that you'd broken your leg so badly - but I'm glad that you are feeling much better. Happy to see that you're doing so well in NZ.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb