Beach Day!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Whangamata
February 4th 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having to work every weekend is turning into a trend so hubby and I decided that on Thursday we would go somewhere if the weather was nice...yes BEACH DAY!!! We had just recently been to the Cormonadel where hubby read up about Opoutere Beach. and it all sounded good so we decided to head there. It is a 2 hour drive from Auckland but that was not to defeat us.

We had checked the weather forecast the night before so we were a bit dumbfounded as to why it was chucking it down with rain in the Coromandel while we were driving there. It was a bit disconcerting as well because we seemed to have left the sunshine back in Auckland. Anyway upon arrival at least the rain had stopped and the sun was attempting to peek it's head through the clouds. To say there is not much around here is an understatement! Except for a hostel and the Coromandel Coastal Camping which is controlled there is not much else intruding on the natural environment.

There is a 10 minute walk to the beach itself through the forest reserve. We arrived at high tide and it was pretty amazing to watch the tide recede by the afternoon. Your immediate impression is the expanse and how undeveloped and natural this beach is. Add to that the fact that we could count the amount of other people there on our hand all made it a great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb