30 04 2010


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

30 04 2010


Wendy was awake early and took some photos of the lovely sunrise. Today we were going from Waihi beach up north and around the Coromandel peninsula. Even though this was our last full day of travelling NZ didn’t fail us. The views were stunning. We went from deserted beaches where we stopped for breakfast to steep jungle hills. The roads weaved up and round steep turns to reveal fantastic views across the peninsula at the top. Often the views were over 360 degrees and no amount of camera work could do it justice. Highly recommended for visitors to NZ to check this area out. We didn’t have enough time but what we saw was beautiful.

Got to Coromondel and spent an hour de bugging the camper van prior to handing it back tomorrow. Had a bit of a laugh as I cleaned up the shower and thought it best to do this naked and have a shower at the same time. Got the job done though.

Coramondel was a lovely little place and we bought a bottle of local wine and steak ($10 for fillet steak!). The camp site was basic but we pulled up our camping chairs beside a couple of elderly kiwis and watched the sun go down. Saw 3 kingfishers looking for supper and only left when the evening chill took hold.

Teamed up with another couple from UK for evening meal. The bloke Jeremy used to own Chawton Manor house near Alton and had married an Aussie. They were touring for 6 months and made enjoyable companions.

Then a quick read and off to bed, only to be awoken at 0300 by a downpour.

Night campers.

Phil and Wendy

XXX



Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



1st May 2010

hey
hey phil and wendy! the views look AMAZING! sounds like your having a great time :) speak to you soon love Sam xxx
2nd May 2010

Hello from London
Hello Phil and Wendy! I've been very idle in not posting comments, but I've been following your blog all the way through. I'm hugely impressed not only with your travels, but also your persistence in keeping up the diary. It's good to see some pictures of places I remember in NZ and I'm really glad you're having such a good time. Love and best wishes from Mike

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb