Waihi


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
September 18th 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cornish PumphouseCornish PumphouseCornish Pumphouse

The remarkable thing about this building is that it was moved in 2006 at a cost of $4 million as it was on the verge of collapse after a mine collapse. Weighing 1840 tonnes and standing three storeys high, it was moved in its entirety to its present site. It was shifted on teflon-coated concrete beams to a new site 300 metres away.

Wednesday, 17th September



Waihi was the destination for today, about 40kms north of here. This pastoral town was brought back to life by the reopening of the Martha goldmine by Newmont Mining in 1987 after being closed in 1952. About 6 mine shafts were taken by a huge open cut mine. This hole will reach a depth of 250m before they stop mining, allowing it gradually fill with water to form a lake. Natural filling will take an estimated 23 years but by diverting the local rivers at their peak it should be full within 5.

The town itself was attractive, well set up and the i site very helpful and informative. After a picnic lunch overlooking the mine (after a long walk around half of the mine as Judy wants to increase her fitness ;-( we walked down the main street, Judy starting her Christmas shopping at the Art Market!

We now drove to the foot of a trail which sounded like a stroll in the country in the pamphlet but took us through boggy paddocks containing calves, and then made it's way steeply up to another summit. Yes, you guessed it, we climbed another mountain! (or
Brilliant RhododendronBrilliant RhododendronBrilliant Rhododendron

These colourful trees abound in NZ. They must love the high rainfall.
at least a hill!) From here we overlooked the town and enjoyed a 360 degree view that included green fields, Waihi the mine tailings lakes and the damaged/reinstated mining areas.

A visit to Gilmour Lake followed on our way out, where we met 2 gents sailing their yachts. After Rags commented on them 'playing nicely' one agreed and told us they would reward themselves with a beer afterwards. They were very friendly, one telling how he once owned some land in Cottesloe in WA and about his daughter Brenda who is married to a West Australian. He advised us to go home via Waihi Beach, especially the lookout on Bowentown heads.

The views from Bowenhead were spectacular as he said they were, overlooking Matakana Island and down towards where we are staying on Omokoroa. We had to backtrack and go around the bay to get home.

Thursday, 18th September

Weather looked lousy today so we had an easy day, bit of washing, blogging and reading!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Martha MineMartha Mine
Martha Mine

We could walk around most of the edge of this huge gold mine. (not huge compared to Kalgoorlie though)
Historic HotelHistoric Hotel
Historic Hotel

Beautifully restored historic buildings gave Waihi character.
New CalvesNew Calves
New Calves

On our climb up to Black Hill we passed these calves that kept their eyes on us.
From Black HillFrom Black Hill
From Black Hill

You can see the Chinese Cedar windbreaks clearly from here. These protect the kiwi fruit vines.
Mine workingsMine workings
Mine workings

The crushed ore is transported by a long conveyor belt to here.
Radio Controlled yachtsRadio Controlled yachts
Radio Controlled yachts

After our climb we relaxed at Gilmour Lake where we chatted to the owners of these 2 yachts.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb