Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Blogs from Mount Maunganui
Latest Blogs from Mount Maunganui
- August 28th 2012 Up the Mauao!
by Words: 573 Photos: 5
- December 12th 2011 The NORTH Island
by Words: 172 Photos: 44
- November 24th 2011 Breeze though the North Island/NZ , Sydney and on to Christmas Island..
by Words: 241 Photos: 8
- May 5th 2011 Dog sitting in Papamoa
by Words: 1105 Photos: 54
- April 15th 2011 Journal day 69 - Mount Maunganui.
by Words: 150 Photos: 0
- April 3rd 2011 Heading North
by Words: 892 Photos: 7
- March 27th 2011 Mount Maunganui - Stormy!
by Words: 5 Photos: 5
- March 19th 2011 Mount Maunganui - Sunny!
by Words: 6 Photos: 16
- January 31st 2011 Plan 'A' Plan "B"
by Words: 318 Photos: 1
- January 16th 2011 Having a holiday!
by Words: 697 Photos: 22
- December 27th 2010 Rafaela, Mt. Maunganui, Hot Water Beach, Okere Falls, Rotorua e Mclaren Falls !!
by Words: 2082 Photos: 129
- December 25th 2010 Christmas Day
by Words: 171 Photos: 11
- October 10th 2010 A vida é bela se você...
by Words: 1452 Photos: 59
- July 20th 2010 Our little campervan took us to beautiful Mt Manganui
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2010 10th - 13th the mount & 13th - 15th Auckland
by Words: 593 Photos: 0
- March 9th 2010 Our 1st Week + in the Campervan!
by Words: 1208 Photos: 20
- January 29th 2010 Kiwi Hospitality
by Words: 102 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2010 Mount manganui
by Words: 56 Photos: 24
- November 22nd 2009 Beach Barbecque - the Mount
by Words: 161 Photos: 3
- November 16th 2009 Mt. Maunganui (and buying our van)
by Words: 220 Photos: 9