Day 10 (20 July) Waitangi


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
July 20th 2014
Published: July 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Maori cultural show at WaitangiMaori cultural show at WaitangiMaori cultural show at Waitangi

Maori dancers in native costume, with British interlopers
Poor Don was quite poorly during the night. He spent half of the night with his head either down the toilet or over the sink. No further information needed.

After another delicious breakfast for Lesley, Caroline and Gwenlli. the rain had stopped enough to brave the elements. The girls wanted a walk, Don wanted to keep close to a loo and I wanted to stay dry. So we decided to visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds.

In 1840 a treaty was signed between the British and the Maoris. The British government representative was James Busby who drew up the treaty which was translated into Maori. The British consul who signed the treaty on behalf of the government was captain William Hobson. There were days of discussion until on 6 February 1840, with much pomp and splendour the treaty was signed. The flagstaff marks the spot where the treaty was signed.

The land fell into disrepair and in 1930 the meeting house was built. The land is owned by a private Trust and is also home to a hotel, golf club and bowling club.

After seeing the museum and walking around a little of the grounds we went to a cultural show. This was very well done and very enjoyable. We all waited outside the meeting house until we were greeted by a very fierce warrior who wanted to see if we were friend or foe. We had appointed a leader who was able to persuade the Maoris that we were peaceful friends. We were invited inside the meeting house to hear an ancient, unaccompanied song. Subsequent songs were accompanied by the guitar, which these Maori adopted some time ago. We saw a haka (very intimidating), the action song, some demonstrations of weapon usage and some group juggling.

From there we drove to Haruru Falls. Unfortunately the falls were very brown and dirty due to the incessant rain. The girls wanted to do the trail walk back, but it was closed due to the weather.

We returned to Allegra House. The girls went off to Kerikeri but Don and I ate some of our leftover food and did a page of Daf Yomi. By the end of the day Don felt brighter and better but quite drained. An early night was what mummy doctor ordered.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb